• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Easy question for my Brit brethren
11-02-2008, 06:43 AM,
Easy question for my Brit brethren
I've got a dish installed and get about 20 British channels over here. I've noticed that almost all the presenters have started wearing a round, red thing that looks like some kind of flower on their lapels for over a week now. Can somebody tell me what that represents?
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM,
RE: Easy question for my Brit brethren
First let me say I hope this is not some kind of wind up, if you don't really know, the item that you mention is called a poppy and is worn by a lot of people in the UK as a sign of respect to all those men & woman who fell in the first and second world war's.....And may they always be remembered.

cheers Ted
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2008, 05:36 PM by alaric99x.)
No, Ted, no ambush coming up, thanks for the answer.

I thought that's what it was, but Veteran's Day is still over a week away and the presenters have been wearing the poppies for over a week already. It seems like you have a Veteran's Month up there on the island, and if you're on TV without a poppy, you're out of uniform.

Indeed, "may they always be remembered," I certainly applaud that. Another salute from me to the people of Britain.
11-02-2008, 08:19 PM,
poppies are sold for a few weeks before remembrance Sunday, the money raised helps vets and their families.

I am not sure if you are playing devils advocate:chin: But will give you the benefit of the dout.
11-02-2008, 09:26 PM,
Bidermann (FGM) Wrote:I am not sure if you are playing devils advocate:chin:

No, not at all, and I must admit that I feel a little stupid for asking in the first place. Like I said, I've been watching this on the Brit channels for over a week. It's just new to me, nothing like the scene I remember in the US. Wearing poppies is not so universal there and people don't wear them for so long.
11-02-2008, 10:10 PM,
The TV presenters over here, apart from being generally thick, seem to have a competition as to who can wear the poppy first, when I were a lad, poppies were generally sold in the week leading up to rememberance sunday.
Having said that, if it raises more awareness and brings in more money for the charity, then more power to it I say, it's better than people not being aware.
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM,
Stryker Wrote:The TV presenters over here, apart from being generally thick, seem to have a competition as to who can wear the poppy first, when I were a lad, poppies were generally sold in the week leading up to rememberance sunday.
Having said that, if it raises more awareness and brings in more money for the charity, then more power to it I say, it's better than people not being aware.

I agree.
11-20-2008, 10:11 PM,
And for more info on this custom try www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/fact/q_a_the_disabled_people_who_make_the_remembrance_day_poppies.shtml

And www.ppu.org.uk/