• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Off Topic: Commander: Europe at War
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
Off Topic: Commander: Europe at War
Some mention has been made here lately of Matrix games - one that I have been playing lately is "Commander: Europe at War." This is an operational level game on a large map of Europe that emphasizes gameplay and enjoyment over strict realism. As you can see its very attractive to look at. Also very hard to beat as the Axis with limited oil supply "on." It's not as detailed as HOI II, but the problems of fighting on two fronts are very well simulated. Easy to learn but hard to win - it can be addictive. It has an old time "Panzer General" feel to it for those who enjoyed that game. My first game I tried Germany and actually lost to the AI (Oh the shame) and that was on normal settings. I recommend trying this one while waiting for those CM turns to come in. Here's a screenshot of the East Front right before Barbarossa:

[Image: CEAW.jpg]
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2008, 09:51 PM,
RE: Off Topic: Commander: Europe at War
I have this game but have more fun with the War in Russia scenario in the game Advanced Tactics.

Have you tried that game?
10-26-2008, 10:57 PM,
Does Commander Europe at War include naval forces?
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
10-26-2008, 11:32 PM,
Fullhouse - I have Advanced Tactics but haven't had patience enough to actually sit down and learn the system yet - and I was initially turned off by the graphics.

Jobu88 - Yes it has naval forces - representing battleships, carriers, subs, and destroyers. There are convoys to sink and such. Don't expect a whole lot of exact representation - it's more what they call a light "beer and pretzels" game - but it kept me up until 2:00 AM the other night and that's pretty good for me.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-27-2008, 02:13 AM,
What is that TOWII you mentioned the other day, with the nice graphics?
Any good as a game?
10-27-2008, 03:31 AM,
herroberst Wrote:What is that TOWII you mentioned the other day, with the nice graphics?
Any good as a game?

That is located here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/...of.War.III

I haven't played it myself but it looks kind of cool for a switch. Steep learning curve I hear.
10-27-2008, 06:57 AM,
Went to the Matrix site and checked it out, it looks very similar to the old Avalon Hill classic Third Reich, which I used to love playing.

I went ahead and ordered it. $70 ! Games didn't used to cost that much.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
10-27-2008, 12:25 PM,
Jobu88 Wrote:Went to the Matrix site and checked it out, it looks very similar to the old Avalon Hill classic Third Reich, which I used to love playing.

I went ahead and ordered it. $70 ! Games didn't used to cost that much.

Cool - maybe once we get the mechanics down we can try a PBEM.
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM,
TOAW isn't that hard to play. I think you'll find that after a single game you'll have the system down.

Good Hunting.

MR
10-27-2008, 09:16 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:Some mention has been made here lately of Matrix games - one that I have been playing lately is "Commander: Europe at War." This is an operational level game on a large map of Europe that emphasizes gameplay and enjoyment over strict realism. As you can see its very attractive to look at. Also very hard to beat as the Axis with limited oil supply "on." It's not as detailed as HOI II, but the problems of fighting on two fronts are very well simulated. Easy to learn but hard to win - it can be addictive. It has an old time "Panzer General" feel to it for those who enjoyed that game. My first game I tried Germany and actually lost to the AI (Oh the shame) and that was on normal settings. I recommend trying this one while waiting for those CM turns to come in.

Hey DK, I've been playing CEAW for a few months now. Its a pretty terrific game IMHO. If u feel like a PBEM sometime let me know. :)

- falco.