• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

In Memorium - 11 Sept 2001
09-12-2008, 12:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2008, 12:13 AM by Greybeard.)
Off Topic  In Memorium - 11 Sept 2001
Hello All,

On Sept 11 2001, I had just started a new job in Detroit. At appx 7am I linked to the internet to listen to the news, and what was shortly to broadcast was unexpected. The news announcer broke into the broadcast and said that an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center.. my immediate thoughts were, how awful.. then a few minutes later the announcer broke in again and reported a 2nd aircraft had crashed into the WTC... I then thought, 2 aircraft in a matter of minutes?? no way this was an accident.. In short order the entire design staff had made it's way to the company cafeteria as there was a television there.. I had called home to let my wife know that something terrible was happening, and that she needed to turn on the TV... the silence of my new work-mates was deafening as we watched the towers collapse.. many were openly crying, some muttered curses, a few took a moment to pray for those people and families that had just had loved ones removed from their world..

Later,when the news and scattered details from flight 93 began to trickle in, much admiration and sympathy was express about the braverly exhibited by the passengers who knowingly sacrificed their lives to save the lives of countless others..

Later, when Pres Bush spoke, the applause from approval/sympathy for his words were loud and long..

When congress nearly unanimously approved 'whatever means necessary' to make sure something like this would not happen again, the applause of approval sounded long and loud from coast to coast.

Since then the US has not suffered an attack, and many have been aborted.. troops still fight against those who would see the destruction on our way of freedom and life

Today marks the aniversary of the most devastating attack to occur on American Soil since the US Civil War..

For those who have forgotten: please remember..

Those who Deny: You dishonor the bravery and sacrifice of those that not only perished from the attack, but also those that responded and made the attempt to rescue the survivors knowing that they also likely would not survive..

For those who remember: Don't Forget..

For those that serve, or have served in the armed forces of the world: My sincere thanks..

In rememberance of them all: Flag

Stephen Burton aka: Greybeard
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2008, 01:52 AM,
RE: In Memorium - 11 Sept 2001
Hi
I have moved this here from the SP MB.
Walrus
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
09-12-2008, 02:02 AM,
As a general rule, we try and keep politics out of the Blitz. Steve has walked a fine line here with this post, but I will allow it to stand as I would a post commemorating other national days of observance (ANZAC Day, Memorial Day, Remembrance Day, for examples). Given that this event is still relatively recent in our past, I understand that some make take exception to that position, but I would ask that no matter if you agree, or disagree, you not besmirch the honored dead with a debate on the matter.

I hope that all Americans will take the opportunity this Patriot Day to reflect on what patriotism means to you, and how you might best answer your countries call.

Thank you.
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM,
I remember that day as well.

Yes, never forget.
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM,
I was decorating my lounge when it came on....

I remember settling down to watch it in disbelief wondering what the hell was going to happen next.

By the time I went back to painting in the early evening the paint had dried on the brush.

It was riveting, sickening and scary all at the same time.
09-14-2008, 10:40 AM,
I was standing at the back of a moving truck talking to the driver about the Towers when we heard a huge BOOM and light coloured smoke rose above the townhouses while the ground shook. The driver and I looked at each other and said WTF was that (I lived about 3 miles from the Pentagon).

A funny side to this is the movers came out and said they should get in the truck and rush home to their families in Quantico, about 40 miles away. The driver said "when President Bush calls me and tells me to send you guys home then I will, but until then we are moving this guy!"
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha