• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Player Profile #24 Marquo.
09-05-2008, 09:18 AM,
Thumbs_Up  Player Profile #24 Marquo.
What is your real name?
Mark Mazer

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?
I lived in Belgium for many years, and my friends always called me, “Marquo.” The knickname has stuck.

What ladders are you represented on?
I have dabbled with CM, CS, OAW and Napoleonic Games, but HPS Operational Campaigns is where I spend most of my computer gaming time.

What is your favourite PC War-game?
Panzer Campaigns. They are thoroughly researched and offer awe inspiring insights into the challenges faced by the historical opponents. Further, the maps are meticulously drawn and aesthetically pleasing. Even though the game engine is old, the designers have been remarkably affable, and have incorporated feedback from players into upgrades. Of equal importance, I can always find honourable opponents at the Blitz.

Who has been your hardest opponent?
It is difficult to single out one single opponent for this honour, though I would be remiss not to name Esher as my single most brilliant and gentlemanly opponent. He logged 362 games, with 250 wins, 65 losses and 47 draws. I am proud to have added to his win column. Cap and Gown was another iconic figure of the early halcyon years who was well studied and all but unbeatable; he was very patient and guided me as he shredded my OOB. Ricky B is well-studied and wily, and Typhoon is down right tenacious. All these gentlemen are gracious and able opponents.

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?
Since 2001, soon after I discovered Smolensk.

What War interests you the most?
Periods without war interest me profoundly, but since they are all but nonexistent, World War Two is my favourite historical period.

If you could choose to be present at one military historical event what would it be?
I have visited many battlefields: Normandy, the Ardennes, Waterloo, Verdun, and many American Civil War sites. Of all, the most awe inspiring has been Gettysburg, specifically the open field between the Angle atop cemetery ridge and the trees where Pickett’s men awaited the order to charge. This was the high water mark of the Confederacy, and to witness Pickett’s charge from both sides point of view would have been a glimpse of utmost courage, devotion and sacrifice which literally changed the course of human history from then until the present.

What is your favourite War movie?
“Der Arzt von Stalingrad” or “The Doctor of Stalingrad.” This is an incredible story and a powerful plea for peace in our times.

What do you snack on while gaming?
Nothing. My dog usually lies at my feet when I am at the computer, and he would annoy the hell out of me if I tried to eat while gaming.

What is your favourite and least favourite aspect of the Blitz website?
I really enjoy the camaraderie of the members who share a common interest. The different points of view found in posts in the forum are enlightening. The moderators do a great job maintaining a respectful atmosphere even when posts seem to get provocative. What is there not to like?

Do you own any war memorabilia?
My father served under Patton as a 2nd Lt in the 65th ID. My most prized possession is a picture of my father standing arm in arm with a Soviet Lieutenant taken in 1945. They are on a bridge over the Enns River, and have exchanged helmets. My father and I took the photo to the Russian Embassy in Washington, D.C. at the occasion of Zhukov’s 100th birthday. His daughters were there and signed the picture.

What is the best military book you have read?
Sun Tzu, “The Art of War” and “On War” by Von Clausewitz.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII?
The Soviet resistance at Brest-Litovsk symbolized that the “rotten structure” would not collapse so easily. Sniping was still going on weeks and months after it “fell.” A soviet general is said to have remarked that he knew that the war would be won as early as the very first day, because many Soviet soldiers, though overwhelmed, did not run and many died fighting.

What is the most interesting military documentary you have ever watched?
“Battlefield Detectives” is an awesome series. All of the episodes are fascinating.

Which is your favourite HPS PzC title?
All of the East Front titles are absorbing, each with a different twist. I really like Kharkov, not so much for the stock campaign, but the map covers areas with huge possibilities for player mods. Ricky B and I did different versions of Operations Star, Gallop and the Von Manstein’s Backhand Blow, which are among the most interesting examples of manoeuvre and operational warfare during WW2.

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?
I immensely enjoy GMT style board war games. “Kiev to Rostov” will be shipping in September, and one will be able to link it to Barbarossa, Army Group South. “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets” is the latest computer strategy title from Strategic Studies Group. I have not bought it, but the reviews are great.

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?
The most important virtue and attribute of a successful PzC player is, “Patience.”
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2008, 12:19 PM,
RE: Player Profile #24 Marquo.
Thanks Marquo, a very good read and good advice/tidbits.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply