• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Battle of Britain and Windows Vista
08-28-2008, 03:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2008, 03:54 AM by Tsunami.)
Battle of Britain and Windows Vista
Have someone BoB (Talonsoft) running with Vista? My PC (Vista x64) refusing to install the game. No way with the setup.exe.Cry
I fear, if no one have an idea I have to wait for Matrix.
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2008, 08:22 AM,
RE: Battle of Britain and Windows Vista
I have not seen a response yet so I have BoB and just got my new vista machine a couple of weeks ago. My old talonsoft games for ACW loaded fine so I will attempt to load BoB this weekend and write back on my experience.

Thanks
Thunder
08-31-2008, 01:23 AM,
Well I got it installed and updated with the last patch. But it would not run, kept getting that it was missing a file. I found the file in the direct x 6.0 folder. I did not want to run the direct x 6.0 on my computer so I copied the file over into the bob folder and the game started no problem. Looks terrible but that is more than likely just due to the age of the game.

If you want you can email me with errors you are getting and hopefully we can get it up and running for you.

Thunder
09-01-2008, 01:38 AM,
I failing on the start, unable to instal the game. Each time I try it I get the message "unable to launch setup.exe". It seems that it don't like Vista x64.Cry
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM,
I have 32 bit vista and had the same problem as Thunder. I tried copying the missing file into the BOB folder, but that didn't work for me. I then tried copying it into my Windows folder and then it did work.
Tsunami, have you tried running setup as the administrator? That works with some programs. I don't have Vista x64 so not sure how that works.
09-11-2008, 12:16 PM,
Where does one find patches for BOB and 12 o'clock high?
09-11-2008, 02:39 PM,
I know that I have the BOB update not sure about 12 o cclock high. anyway send me an email and I'll send you the BOB update to anyone who wants it.

Thunder
09-12-2008, 04:57 AM,
Oh yes Mesquite. I tried it as administrator and also with several compatibiliy modes but the setup failed each time. Will see if I find a way. If not I need to wait for the upcoming Matrix edition.Cry
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM,
Got some good news for your BOB players still having trouble with vista. I was just reading the October issue of PC Gamer and on page 83 there was a tip on how to get old windows games to run on vista with no problems.

Here you go: Windows Vista has something called "Compatability Mode". Right click on the executable file for the game and select properties. Then click on the compability tab, check the box marked "run this program in the compatability mode for" and then select the Microsoft operating system the game was orginally intended for.

I have not tried this myself but the tip sounds worth a try and Good Luck to those out there who want this game up and running.
09-19-2008, 05:09 AM,
Thank you Thunder. I tried it some days before but failed also. I have the bad feeling that there are some differences between my Vista x64 and Vista x32.
I try it next with copieng all files on my HD and install from there and not from disk. Maybe this is helping.:bow: