• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New to SB: Vietnam - any help for a raw recruit?
08-17-2008, 12:07 AM,
New to SB: Vietnam - any help for a raw recruit?
I've played the HPS Panzer Campaigns series for years, long enough to hold my own against the AI and perhaps even a hapless human opponent once in a while if I catch them sick, drunk and sleepy. Squad Battles: Vietnam, however, is truly a different entity altogether I am finding and I need some assistance or pointers :chin:

Basically the scenarios I have tried thus far are void of cover and I have no artillery, supporting assets or smoke to start, resulting in no soldiers left at the end :( As I mobilize and move forward toward the objectives I am simply cut down by mobs of VC squads, usually in bunkers, that I simply can't seem to touch with the weapon systems I have to deploy. I know there are strategies I must be missing ... can anyone offer a suggestion or two?

Thanks!
-nim8or
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.-Umberto Eco
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2008, 10:53 PM,
RE: New to SB: Vietnam - any help for a raw recruit?
PM Sent.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-21-2008, 09:29 AM,
I've just bought Tour of Duty so i'd be interested in any tips as well. :whis:

cheers
08-21-2008, 12:16 PM,
Nim8or:

Sounds like you are playing one of the Dodge City scenarios. There are several scenarios which just are not well balanced. Your best bet may be to start over with a better scenario. Check the scenario database and see if you can't find one that is better balanced. If you would like a friendly game with some advise thrown in, send me an email.

If you just want a tip or two here's one that is pretty much common sense, but is not found in PzC. When trying to cross ground in the line of fire of the bad guys, stand up, run as far as you can and then hit the ground again. This means that you will only be able to cover three hexes per turn in open ground, but you stand a much better chance of being able to move the next turn. This only works with units in good order by the way. Once your units are disrupted they can only move one hex unless they started the turn standing up (and only in clear terrain). Also remember that while rice paddies don't block LOS and slow you down, they also provide cover. Try and stick to the paddies if there are any. If you have to cross open ground, it doesn't take too many AKs to bring your advance to a crawl.

When you are more than a couple of hexes away from the enemy, leave your leaders in a hex by themselves. They are less likely to get killed this way (except by snipers). When you get close to the bad guys though, they are very vulnerable to assault when by themselves. If you lose your platoon leader(s), the units ability to conduct an attack with that platoon has just about reached zero.

Feel free to email me with any specific questions you might have. I'll try and answer them for you.

Jeff Conner
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM by nim8or.)
Thanks Jeff! You are absolutely right, I guess I didn't start with the best of scenarios for an introduction to the series when I settled on the Dodge City group. I should have remembered to get the heck out of Dodge :eek1:

TheBigRedOne has been helping me with an email game and advice and I would love to start another for additional learning and enjoyment. I'll send you a PM with my email address - feel free to send a game file my way.
08-21-2008, 01:59 PM,
Excellent advice Jeff.
08-27-2008, 04:08 AM,
Watch out for this raw recruit, boys. He's taking me to the woodshed in Hue-2. Wolf in sheep's clothing!

:)

Seriously, though, we're having a good time with this game. He'll be a guy that will be a lot of fun to play against going forward. Not much honing necessary....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-27-2008, 07:48 AM,
Its been a long time. I'd like to try some NAM scenarios. Anyone?
08-27-2008, 03:37 PM,
Struggling to hold my own is more like it - and that is with TheBigRedOne doing a bit of experimenting to save me added grief, but I am having a great time with both PBEM learning games I am currently playing. Send me a PM or email and I'll be happy to try another scenario, but I only have SB:Vietnam at present. Hope to remedy that soon!
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM,
When you get ToD don't forget the graphics/sound mods. :whis:

cheers