• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Possible improvements?
08-16-2008, 02:43 PM,
Possible improvements?
I think these might be considered be improvements

1. Default setting for bases. One of the things I find ...annoying, I guess...is the bases being off when the replay starts. This meams I have to try and beat the computer to get the cursor on the base switch and try to get it to "bases on" before the computer moves to the next force element. This can negate the value of the replay, as without bases seeing units is often difficult. Any possibility in having "bases on" as the default setting?

2. All the movement/fire/load/unload options are reversible if one is checking out how far one can move..... except fatigue. I would like to see this selectable on/off before movement actually commences. Very annoying to tell the lads to double then find that they could have walked the same distance and shot better at the end .
FYC
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2008, 03:00 PM,
RE: Possible improvements?
Agreed. For bases, hover your cursor over the bases button and use the "enter" key on your keyboard to activate the yes in the popup, then quickly click the mouse.
08-16-2008, 03:42 PM,
Rod,

tsk, tsk...

point 1. I would not be caught dead playing with bases "on". Joggle between level 4 and level 1 only. Nice immersion, that way...

point 2...sometimes things you can screw up twice, maybe even three and four times...but sometimes there are things you can only screw up once.

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
08-16-2008, 08:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM by Kool Kat.)
Mr. Guberman Wrote:Rod,

tsk, tsk...

point 1. I would not be caught dead playing with bases "on". Joggle between level 4 and level 1 only. Nice immersion, that way...

point 2...sometimes things you can screw up twice, maybe even three and four times...but sometimes there are things you can only screw up once.

Cheers
Curt

Curt:

Point 1. I must disagree with you. I challenge you to play a Rising Sun scenario with "bases off" and see if you can pick out all your troops in that jungle terrain! Eek Sure, you can always use the "next unit" advance button to locate your troops, but why make it more difficult to study your own units while mulling over the next move? You will get both "immersion" and severe eye strain! :whis: I agree with KK that the game should be able to "remember" and retain the last player options - especially when in a PBeM match.

Point 2. I agree that it needs to remain "as is." I believe that making movement/fire/load/unload options reversable (even when checking movement ranges) would eliminate some of the uncertainty, fog-of-war element to game play. For example; the general orders some troops to a spot on the map. He needs to get them there in a hurry, so he orders double time movement... but then as the troops move into position... he discovers that the road network would have supported "regular movement" and the troops could have arrived in better shape to take up firing positions. IMHO, this is a nice realism twist :cool:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-17-2008, 03:16 AM,
...quote

"Curt:

Point 1. I must disagree with you. I challenge you to play a Rising Sun scenario with "bases off" and see if you can pick out all your troops in that jungle terrain!"

...I primarily play RS. Have some going right now with very dense maps. I do not use bases. I toggle between view levels 4 and 1. If I am having trouble finding a unit I highlight it from level 4 before magnifying to level 1...almost as good as a starshell.

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
08-17-2008, 07:24 AM,
mwest Wrote:Point 2. I agree that it needs to remain "as is." I believe that making movement/fire/load/unload options reversable (even when checking movement ranges) would eliminate some of the uncertainty, fog-of-war element to game play. For example; the general orders some troops to a spot on the map. He needs to get them there in a hurry, so he orders double time movement... but then as the troops move into position... he discovers that the road network would have supported "regular movement" and the troops could have arrived in better shape to take up firing positions. IMHO, this is a nice realism twist :cool:

Your second question does not make sense...these functions are reversible, always have been AFAIK. If you are trying to say they should be made irreversible, that becomes another issue.
I do like your example argument against the reversibility of the fatigue function. It is not a major issue, on my part
08-17-2008, 07:29 AM,
Sorry, hit the post button before finishing.

On bases,would the game program allow a player to set up a default setting for bases, as is the case with initial view? This would not affect the opponent, surely.
08-17-2008, 10:53 AM,
I remember the bases display question was asked back in the Talonsoft days and the answer came back that it could not be done. No idea why though.

cheers
08-17-2008, 11:04 PM,
I agree with the bases option, i usually watch replays in 3d mode and it is too hard to see what is going on without it

As for doubletime it is pretty easy to work out you get roughly get 134 AP instead of 100, you just have to add the terrain points together ro see if you need to DT or not
08-18-2008, 12:36 AM,
I like both suggestions. The UI already allows us to specify the zoom level that replays will begin at; why not the unit displays as well?

I don't agree that being able to check doubletime movement radius reduces the fog-of-war; players can always press F2 and manually calculate all the places they can reach at doubletime. But its time consuming; I would greatly prefer spending more time thinking about tactics rather than repeatedly performing tedious manual calculations.