• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Player Profile #22 Dog Soldier
08-02-2008, 03:46 AM,
Player Profile #22 Dog Soldier
What is your real name?
Brian Bedford

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?
I wanted a name that was unique and reflected where I live in the Western United States. The Native American tribes of this region were the best light cavalry ever seen. The dog soldiers were tribal fanatics. I chose the name years ago when I was a member of the Leadeaters war gaming club and kept it ever since.

What ladders are you represented on?
HPS Operational Campaigns
Ancient Wars
Classic Wargames Ladder
I have always been most active in the PzC game series.

What is your favourite PC War-game?
PzC. Any game in the series is fun to play.

Who has been your hardest opponent?
The best I have had to play would be Esher, RickyB and Steel God. Both were tenacious opponents where many games came down to the last few turns to reach a decision. sjaski is a good friend and fun competitor. Foul is a terror in the desert. Many other have come much closer to nailing my hide than they thought.

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?
Seven years now.

What War interests you the most?
WW2 has always captured my interest since I used to listen to veterans stories at family reunions as a child. The American Revolution and Napoleonic wars (Napoleon fought the first world war IMHO) are of great interest. I have visited a few of the ARW battlefields in the east. I get shivers thinking about trading soft lead balls at such close ranges in a packed formation when standing where those men fought.

If you could choose to be present at one military historical event what would it be?
The signing of the American Declaration of Independence. I would love to buy Dr Franklin a beer.
I know this does not seem to some to be a military event since the American Revolution had already started. This event meant there would be no turning back for a peaceful settlement.

What is your favourite War movie?
That is a tough one. We were Soldiers has been the one I keep watching the most often lately.

What do you snack on while gaming?
Enemy units in “T” mode.

What is your favourite and least favourite aspect of the Blitz website?
My favourite aspect is the community. I have met and gamed with some remarkable people from all over the world here.
Least favourite? So much to see here, and not enough time for all of it. Wait, that is a personal problem.

Do you own any war memorabilia?
No.

What is the best military book you have read?
While no where near the size or depth of many WW2 books out there, I keep going back to the Ballantine Battle series of books. Although written long ago, I find them to be good overviews of the major campaigns of WW2 with an operational point if view.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII?
I would have to say the Battle of Britain. After that event, the Nazis were stick with a huge force in Western Europe. If those troops were not needed in Western Europe with Britain conquered or at least out of the war, the Russians may not have survived that first year of invasion.

What is the most interesting military documentary you have ever watched?
The Civil War by Ken Burns about the ACW.

Which is your favourite HPS PzC title?
Right now, I really like the scenarios in the Minsk 44 title. They are well balanced for PBEM play.

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?
No.

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?
Enjoy the games you play for what they are. A chance to socialize and be a part of a larger community of people with the same basic interests in history that you have.

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2008, 04:12 AM,
RE: Player Profile #22 Dog Soldier
Foul. Wrote:...What do you snack on while gaming?
Enemy units in “T” mode....

I like that one. Big Grin
08-02-2008, 04:22 AM,
Don't we all get excited when a recon flight finds a unit in T mode and you have a ground attack mission available?? ;)

Then of course it is intercepted...........Cry :hissy:
08-02-2008, 04:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2008, 07:20 AM by Dog Soldier.)
Foul. Wrote:Don't we all get excited when a recon flight finds a unit in T mode and you have a ground attack mission available?? ;)

Then of course it is intercepted...........Cry :hissy:

Then it is time to fire that one long range artillery battery attached to the army HQ you were holing back for just such an opportunity.

And get "no effect!"...........................Cry :hissy:

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-06-2008, 04:36 PM,
I have the Ballantine Stalingrad book, interesting photos. I enjoyed it very much.
08-10-2008, 05:25 AM,
Good choice on the Ballentine Books ; I have 60 so far....still collecting as time goes on but the prices keep increasing; they cost one dollar when they started!
08-10-2008, 01:31 PM,
PK Powers Wrote:Good choice on the Ballentine Books ; I have 60 so far....still collecting as time goes on but the prices keep increasing; they cost one dollar when they started!

I have more than 100 of them that I bought as they came for $1......

As has been pointed out they are dated. But the pictures are still as good as ever.

Good Hunting.

MR