• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

History Magazines?
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM,
History Magazines?
Hi All,

I've been thinking about getting a few subscriptions going again and was wondering what magazines do the rest of the Blitz membership read.

There's MHQ, Military History, Civil War Times, North and South, Armchair General and many others. Does anyone still get Strategy and Tactics with the game in it anymore? If so is it worth the 110 dollars for 6 issues?

Well I hope I get some good responses about what the rest of you are reading and find a good read.

Thanks
Thunder
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2008, 09:17 PM by Steel God.)
RE: History Magazines?
Tony;

You covered most of the magazines I have subscribed to over the years, all are good. MHQ was always top shelf in my opinion, but the price went along with that. Military History, Civil War Times, World War II, and everything in that format were always rock solid and good value for me. Armchair General was always very slick, and is perhaps geared more towards war gaming than history, but does a fine job of mixing both.

For me, Military History was always my favorite because it covered a broad spectrum, and frankly I get tired of reading about WWII all the time. It was also not as expensive as MHQ, but did good coverage. If I had to go with one, that would be it.

Paul

PS: Oh yeah, about S&T, the short answer is, do you have anyone you can play the board games against? If yes, then I find S&T to be worth the high price. If the games in the mags are just going to stack up in your closet like a 100 other games you own and can't play for lack of FTF opponents, I'd pass on it.
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM,
Im a subscriber to Armchair General... suits my needs perfectly.
08-01-2008, 12:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM by Justin MacDuro.)
I use to buy Eurouniformes and PanzerAces

http://www.euromodelismo.com/catalog/ind...?cPath=1_7
http://www.euromodelismo.com/catalog/ind...?cPath=1_9

Nice magazine sthat mix history and info about uniforms and armored vehicles. Ideal for those who love reenactements or paint miniatures from all ages .
[Image: panzerschreck.gif]
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM,
You know Paul, like you I too have had subscriptions to all of them at one toime or another and I do like Military History for the different stories instead of being centered around one war. The S&T I could get without the game and it is still a little pricey but not bad. I picked up the latest issue at Barnes and Noble and have really enjoyed it.

In particular there is a good article on China and a brief overview of all the dynasties that ruled there. Good data and a nice read. One item that they went into was the chinese invention of the printing press but how it did not impact China as much as Europe because the chinese did not have an alphabet at the time and thus it was easier to manual produce books then the n press. Interesting fact....

As to getting the game, no there is no one around to play against and YES I do have hundreds of board games gathering dust but everything time I think about a new board game that old feeling of the exiting afternoons when my friends would gather and we would play just gives me the itch to get some new ones....

Luckily the mind has overruled the heart so far....LOL

Tony
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM,
LOL, I know those feelings only too well Tony. As much as PC games are fun, and provide true FOW that you could never get in a board game, for me, nothing surpasses the camaraderie that is shared across the table. That is something that the internet and PBEM can never replace I'm afraid.