• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Team Game
07-25-2008, 02:08 AM,
Team Game
Would there be any interest in a large team game. What I was thinking is four vs four, with one of the players as overall commander of his side. The Commander would NOT have any forces to move, and would only issue the plan for his side, and supervise the operation. The Commander would allocate forces, and could hold certain forces in Reserve till "chopped" to one of his subordinate commanders. He would also allocate fires. Each subordinate commander would then execute the plan with his forces as ordered.

I was thinking of an attack / defend battle of around 70 turns, on a custom map that I will make. Perhaps even make it into an operation.
I would be the over all commander of one side, as I have no wish to move units, just make the plan and supervise the execution. We will need seven more players, with a volunteer to be my opposite commander. Battle size would be around a KG Regimental attack into a weaken Regiment with possible reserves built into the scenario or operation. I will build the battle and command either side if there is enough interest out there.

Note a team game would have to take a special sort of long term dedication to getting your turn done and the willing ness to subordiante yourself to a higher commander....just like real life.
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2008, 02:17 AM,
RE: Team Game
Sure, I'll play. If you go bigger than 60 or 70 turns everybody starts running out of ammo...
07-25-2008, 02:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 03:18 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Hey I'd be interested in being one of the two overall commanders, I kinda like the idea of issuing orders at intervals along the lines of "Go here, go there", "Attack here, defend there", "Kill now, kill later" etc, then letting my field commanders get on with the job..:)

PS- 70 turns seems a bit long to me, but hey you're the boss..:)
07-25-2008, 04:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM by Feydarkin.)
Sounds very interesting.

I can hold a return rate of 3-6 turns a week.

Although I wonder how you organize such a tournament. Do you just send the files from one commander to the other and let him fill in his orders or is it more complicated than that?

Also: BO, BB or AK?
07-26-2008, 02:31 AM,
I'm interested too. Would be happy to pick one of the battalions/coys. My turn rate is 1-2 per day.
08-07-2008, 06:40 AM,
That is five including me. I think eight would be ideal, two higher commanders with three subordinate commanders each.

The process would work like so, each "Overall" commander would give orders/guidance to his subordiante commanders, who would then do the "work", (or have the fun) of moving their respective units as best they can in accordance with orders given. For example, the German side, player one starts the turn, moves his troops, saves and sends the turn to the next player on his side who does the same thing. The third and last player of the German side would complete his turn, send the turn to his higher commander, (who more than likely has been getting a copy of all this as it goes along anyway), and he hits end turn and sends the game to the other side. The turn comes back to the German Higher Commander who then sends it out to the other players with a order of turn, and the proces starts again. Granted this will take a long time to finish, and perhaps far shorter battle would be in order. It would really be better if both higher commander could not look at the re-play turns at all. The only way they could get "reports" of the combat would be by asking their subordinate commanders to report. The report could be written, or a "blank" map of the battlefield, with no units showing, except graphics created by the reporting commander. This would be the most realistic, because I can just see subordiante commanders getting really tired of giving reports if asked for one each one minute turn....lol. We could even have a house rule where the higher commander could watch one replay turn, as this could simulate his "trip to the front" drive forward for a quick meeting with his Battalion Commanders.
I want to try this, because I know all I have to do is plan, and most of the work is "up front", afterwords I would let my Commanders do what they get paid to do, go find and kill the enemy.
08-07-2008, 06:48 AM,
Count me in!
I'm willing to lead a battalion for either side. Have a bit of experience with team games. Played in sveral.. :-)

Soldier
08-07-2008, 07:53 AM,
I would tentatively throw my hat into the ring. Sounds like a VERY interesting concept!

Never played a team game before, but had been planning on trying one many months ago, when my partner suddenly disappeared (we even tried a few test turns between us, to get the mechanics down beforehand, which I somewhat forget at the moment).

I can crank out (usually) at least 1 file a day, and sometimes/often more. I never ''disappear''...and if my end dropped at all, I'd either be in the hospital, jail, or the morgue!--haha. This sounds like folks who would be dedicated to doing the same return rate, at minimum.

So I would sign on, unless someone else comes along to bump me....
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
08-07-2008, 06:37 PM,
That is seven total, one more and we are in business. One thing to remember is not so much your return rate, but when you do get the file and it is your turn, to do it ahead of all other games because so many others are waiting. This many people and one delay from one person can cause a lot of time wasted.
08-08-2008, 03:13 AM,
Sounds like fun - if you still need someone I will be happy to play. Cheers.