• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What's fair
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM,
c_Question Mark  What's fair
After a hundred games or less, one obviously knows not only where your opponents forces are entering the board, but also their reinforcements in a given scenario.

In some scenario's it is possible to place units close or even in those reinforcemnent sites and take advantage of the reinforcements when they are available.

What is the general feeling in regard to this tactic?

Thank you,

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2008, 03:18 PM,
RE: What's fair
Grizz,

How unfortunate. I would not play the scen again. What ever your foe can do is legal...

Poor design of the scen, if that is possible for that to happen...

Sorry

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
07-22-2008, 04:29 PM,
Hi Pat, if I understand you correctly, I believe what you're referring to is a practice usually described as camping of spawn sites, or "camping" for short. In most games, it's bannable, but that refers mainly to first person shooters, where the offender simply waits next to the spot where the recently vanquished reappears...only to be quickly gunned down before he knew what hit him. totally unfair, and I don't game with folks who engage in that practice.

In the campaign series, when reinforcements are called for in a reinforcement arrival area that has been compromised by the enemy, you can simply press the "cancel" button for your reinforcements (it will prompt you when you try to advance the turn). That will at least keep your reinforcements safe until the arrival point is safe again.

On the other hand, your predicament may have resulted as a result of poor scenario design, or even simply the flow of the battle...into your reinforcement area. IMO, if your arrival hex(s) are overrun due to enemy action, and not poor scenario design, then it would be realistic, again in my opinion, that the enemy would use its might to prevent the enemy from "taking the field" as it were.

Finally, when you're bringing reinforcements onto the board manually, use the "scheduled" tab, NOT the "arrived" tab, to see where that particular group of units will show up. If it's safe, bring 'em on with the "arrived" command, otherwise, cancel out of there.

Hope this helps. cheers
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM,
I usually play to the end, regardless of outcome, thank the player for the game, and then never play them again.
07-22-2008, 08:23 PM,
Silkster53 Wrote:I usually play to the end, regardless of outcome, thank the player for the game, and then never play them again.

I agree,but remeber if its a very new player they may not know they did something wrong.
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM,
That is why I rarely release the .scn file.................now when a new game starts with one of my chronicles scenarios the players never know for sure when or where opponents reinforcements arrive.........then again a good commander will make sure his arrival routes are secure........if that is not possible then the scenario is poorly designed.........Bukrin Bridgehead is one of the more notorious scenarios for this tactic....I am sure there are others......
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM,
Actually provided that your opponent has not cheated per the club rules there is nothing wrong with sending forces deep behind enemy lines and messing with the enemy.

I rountinely send armored cars, scout cars behind enemy lines looking for easy targets (artillery, loaded trucks, etc.) to attack directly or sit quietly and call in artillery.

I can look at any map while playing a scenario and have a good idea where my foe's reinforcements may appear (usually on a road). If I can disrupt my foe's reinforcements through good game play then so be it.

I got no problems doing it and I got no problems when it is done to me.

Thanx!
07-23-2008, 05:31 AM,
I like the idea of using the reinforcement scheduler to negate the camping tactic.

Thank you all for your opinions in regard to the matter.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

07-23-2008, 06:39 AM,
FYI you guy's might be interested to know that when JT moved onto PzC he introduced a feature called "protected hex's" which means you have a ring of hex's perhaps three deep around a reinforcement entry point and if a opponents unit try's to enter this zone it becomes broken and looses its zoc.

So this is not a viable tactic in PzC.
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2008, 07:20 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Raus Wrote:I agree,but remember if its a very new player they may not know they did something wrong.

Herr Raus,

It is one thing if a new player, in a "blind" scenario (where he did not know of the reinforcements entry hex), got lucky enough to be at the entry hex?
It's another if your opponent played it before, and possibly more than once?
It's still another if that new player "checked the scenario out ahead of time" or played as your side against the AI during your play and the reinforcement hexes were "kinda known"? ;):chin:

When I am playing someone new I tell them if I have played the game before. Then I tell them to check it out against the AI or just play on.
Half the games I've forgotten if I played. The other half seem to be different when I play a new opponent. :smoke:

cheers