• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Supporting New Games
07-19-2008, 03:39 AM,
Supporting New Games
There has been a discussion recently amongst the Staff about adding a new game to the list that is supported here at the Blitz. It starte out in the usual manner; "Hey, a few guys are playing game X. What do you say we add it to the ladder." And that inevitably leads to follow on discussion of what ladder to host it on, or should it be on it's own ladder, how should we score it, etc etc. After weeks of discussion someone says, you know, other than a handful of guys I don't know how many people would really play game X. And the idea slides off the radar scoope (at least for now).

But all that got me thinking. We certainly don't mind adding new games. But it's also not an easy thing to just set one up either. Oh the mechanics of setting it up is easy, but making sure it meshing with the ladder system is a big issue, and finding the right people to run it if it merits a new ladder is another big issue. So, before embarking down that path it would be nice to know what new games people would like to see added. I know there are some scattered threads in various forums, but instea of hunting for them, I thought I'd just post here, in a central area, and people can discuss new games they'd like to be able to play here. If a subject takes off that lets us know we need to give serious thought to adding it.

So having said that.......fire away.
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2008, 04:25 AM,
RE: Supporting New Games
Personally I would still like to see Advanced Tactics added but as the copious amount of discussion proved it may be impractical to start due to ladder scoring issues and the variances in the game.

Panzer Command is the other that has been having a lot of people pushing for a ladder. There are now 2 games released and more to follow... it certainly would be a good candidate.
07-19-2008, 04:30 AM,
‘Forge of Freedom’

As suggested on the ACW post there’s a massive fan base out there which would bring in lots of new members to the Blitz. Last I heard Blitz HQ staff were working on the point allocation to integrate it into the existing ladder, so hopefully we’ll see it hosted soon.

If we can get FoF bedded in and all the gremlins sorted out soonish, it would mean we can be straight up and running for ‘Crown of Glory, Emperor Edition’, which as I understand it, the coding is sorted and should be out soon ( Beta screenshots are up on the Matrix CoG site), again I think CoG EE will be a massive success and therefore a good recruiting aspect for Blitz if we can host it, and increase the pool of players on the Napoleonic Ladder.

All the Best
Peter
07-19-2008, 05:16 AM,
I still like Thunders idea of doing the simple bit of setting it up and then award a set amount of points for any size of scenario posted, as long as the players are aware of the situation and except this compromise there should be no issues.

I fully understand that this will not mesh the games into the ladder scoring systems, but it will see some new blood titles avaliable to play and should attract more players to the Blitz.

Not a perfect solution by any means, but it will get things moving in the short term, i would hope in the longer term the issues with the scoring system would be solved.
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM,
HiHi

Seems reasonable to me Darran, personal opinion, but from a recruiting side I think the sooner we have something in place so we can advertise the fact the better; fine tuning on the points etc can come later.

Can I suggest though that there is some sort of points recognition for ‘the South’ going past the historical end of war, maybe if GHQ could put up some suggested points for the 5 scenarios then folk that are interested could give some feedback etc. just a thought.

All the Best
Peter
07-19-2008, 11:01 PM,
The other Kingmaker Wrote:HiHi

Seems reasonable to me Darran, personal opinion, but from a recruiting side I think the sooner we have something in place so we can advertise the fact the better; fine tuning on the points etc can come later.
I agree, that would be desirable.
The other Kingmaker Wrote:Can I suggest though that there is some sort of points recognition for ‘the South’ going past the historical end of war, maybe if GHQ could put up some suggested points for the 5 scenarios then folk that are interested could give some feedback etc. just a thought.
Well that might be possible.. :chin:
07-19-2008, 11:11 PM,
The other Kingmaker Wrote:Can I suggest though that there is some sort of points recognition for ‘the South’ going past the historical end of war, maybe if GHQ could put up some suggested points for the 5 scenarios then folk that are interested could give some feedback etc. just a thought.

A problem with adding any game to the ladder is the unknowns. We can not properly plan for it if we don't own the game.

If you own it Peter giving me some idea of scenarios would help. How long are they (number of turns), how long does it take to play a turn compared to other games on the ladder (10 times the amount to play an HPS turn for example), this type of information allows us to make a fair estimate of what the time involved would be worth.
07-20-2008, 02:04 AM,
HiHi

Paul most of that info I have supplied already to the best of my ability, i.e. not being a techno etc, others have also chipped in.

After speaking with Gil at GWS (the Games designers) and with his permission, I sent in a email link whereby he could be contacted to answer any of the more difficult questions, if this has got lost I will dig up the email and send you the contact direct should you wish.

Over the Weekend I will dive back through the original posts on the FoF thread and try to stick together a composite to answer the questions you ask, both from me and others, do you want it posting here or sending direct to you?

All the Best
Peter
07-20-2008, 04:42 AM,
I'll go through the thread myself and see what I can glean from it. Will post with any missing info.
07-20-2008, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2008, 08:10 AM by Steel God.)
Peter;

Ok, went through the thread in ACW Forum.

1) Sorry I let it drop. Distractions is all I'll say. Always something pulling at my focus.

2) If I understand correctly you have 5 scenarios, BUT only 1 of them is playable by PBEM. Is that true or false?

3) Assuming that is true, that one scenario you can play PBEM is a full strategy level treatment of the ACW and lasts 100-120 turns (generally)? Correct?

4) What are the victory levels for that one game that is PBEM capable? Is it strictly Union wins or Confederates wins? Or are there levels of victory? Union major, or Union Minor, or draw, etc?