• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

OFF TOPIC - Axis & Allies
06-18-2008, 10:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2008, 03:02 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
OFF TOPIC - Axis & Allies
I started wargaming back in 1986 with this boardgame. Has anyone else played it? Not realistic but fun to sit down with friends and roll some dice and try to take over the world - lol.

For you who are bitterly disappointed in Battlefront's abandonment of CM - here's some great Axis and Allies news from their website:

"To celebrate the 50-year anniversary of Avalon Hill, Axis & Allies is launching its most expansive game ever. The AXIS & ALLIES ANNIVERSARY EDITION will feature the debut of Italy as the third Axis nation, the introduction of the cruiser unit to the naval lineup, and the largest Axis & Allies board to-date measuring 24x46 inches. With over 600 pieces, players will be able to recreate and decide the outcome of WWII like never before. The Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition is designed and developed by Larry Harris, the original designer of Axis & Allies, and will release on October 23, 2008 with an MSRP of $100."

This sounds awesome - a steep price but I'd pay it.

I used to be kind of "obsessed" with Axis and Allies, modifying rules constantly, adding features, expanding and complicating it until no one wanted to play - lol. Well look at what this guy did with his Axis and Allies game:

http://foldinggametable.blogspot.com/

Any other Axis and Allies players out there?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2008, 12:54 AM,
RE: OFF TOPIC - Axis & Allies
I started many Axis and Allies games back in the day, but didn't finish too many of them. It was always great fun to get together with a bunch of buddies and play A&A for a while, as long as you didn't draw the UK to play. ;)

I had the computer version of A&A, but the AI was fairly pathetic. I don't think I every lost to it, even playing as the Axis on the hardest level. Never tried it on-line, though.
06-19-2008, 01:00 AM,
I have played and occasionally play Axis & Allies. I also have and play the Axis & Allies Europe version also. Mike is right about that AI on the computer version…pathetic. Like you said not realistic but it is good fun.
Big Joe

**visit the H2H section and help the designers by testing their scenarios**
06-19-2008, 03:15 AM,
Big Joe Wrote:I have played and occasionally play Axis & Allies. I also have and play the Axis & Allies Europe version also. Mike is right about that AI on the computer version…pathetic. Like you said not realistic but it is good fun.

I bought Axis & Allies Europe but have not played it yet - it's much harder to find table players than internet players.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
06-19-2008, 05:55 AM,
I played it many times, I had a copy at home for a while, but having grown up on real board games from Avalon Hill, I viewed Axis and Allies as being more entertaining than Risk, but basically the same thing. You couldn't really even apply real-world strategy consistently. But it was good clean fun with pizza and beer. And the best thing was you could teach someone else how to play in 15 minutes.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
06-19-2008, 06:24 AM,
I have all 6 of the A & A games, Love the series and it's not to hard to find gamers :)
I suggest looking up a local gaming store and posting on their bulletin board for games. Best place to find stores is @ wizards.com and wizkidsgames.com
Simply use their Venue search engines to find a store near you.

I also have the original 5 game master series games that Milton Bradley put out back in the 80's, they are just as much fun as plain old axis and Allies.

Noting like being face to face with your opps.. any nonsense and you just throw them out of your house and keep their beer! LOL

cheers
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-19-2008, 07:24 AM,
Hi folks.

For sure you´ve heard about Gary Grisby´s World at War.
In my opinion an outstanding A&A clon.

I´m still looking for reliable players, who would like to join a
4 party multiplayer game.

Anybody interested ?cheers

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM,
RedDevil,

You say you have all 6...nice. How do like the Pacific game compared to the Europe game? I have thought about getting the Pacific game.
Big Joe

**visit the H2H section and help the designers by testing their scenarios**
06-19-2008, 11:26 PM,
My nephew and I used to play the original, usually all night and into the next day. He bought an unofficial expansion with blue French units and alternate rules/maps/units.

Best memory was a night playing with my son, nephew, daughter's fiance and ex-boyfriend.

When my nephew got his own sons, Memoir 44 was the next step.
06-20-2008, 12:21 AM,
junk2drive Wrote:daughter's fiance and ex-boyfriend.

Wow - I bet THAT was a spirited game!

We used to play 3-way every man for himself when I worked at the firestation - just draw a random marker out of the five and that was your country - really helped those 24 hour shifts go by - good fun.

Most kids I know today don't want to sit still long enough to learn the rules and get immersed in the game - there is no instant gratification - no flashing lights, beeps, or explosions.