• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

D'85: BRM lacking Amphibious capability?
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM,
D'85: BRM lacking Amphibious capability?
Given that the BRM-R in the D'85 game is but a recon varient of the BMP, which is amphibious in the game, shouldn't the BRM also be amphibious?
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2008, 01:17 PM,
RE: D'85: BRM lacking Amphibious capability?
HirooOnoda Wrote:Given that the BRM-R in the D'85 game is but a recon varient of the BMP, which is amphibious in the game, shouldn't the BRM also be amphibious?

I don 't see a component called "BRM-R"
There is a BRM and a BRMD-2 - one of these only is Amphib. And this is by design. Not every vehicle in the game that was ever capable of Amphib is rated that way for the game. This too is by design.

Anyway - if you want to change it - go ahead - you can do it while you remove the helicopters if you like. We just don't want to provide players with more units to find gamey things to do and we didn't really think every vehicle in every WP recon Bn (including those not represented by the picture on the counter, could cross rivers.

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-07-2008, 02:39 PM,
BRM-R = BRM.

The "recon" version of the BMP my friend. You do know which unit I'm talking about, right?

It just strikes me as funny that the recon unit is less capable than the standard BMP in this respect.
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM,
As Glenn said, the recon units are not composed solely of vehicles depicted in the pictures. The recon units also have tanks.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”
08-11-2009, 06:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM by Ostland [SPR].)
CptCav Wrote:As Glenn said, the recon units are not composed solely of vehicles depicted in the pictures. The recon units also have tanks.

Regards,
CptCav

How many there tanks? If there all 10 BRM. What tanks?

[Image: BRM.jpg]
Send this user an email
08-11-2009, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 06:55 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
A WAPA divisional recon battalion will typically have 2 companies of BRMs/BMPs (w. BRMs carrying radars and BMPs doing the physical scouting plus perhaps a platoon of tanks as well (PT 76s in older days, most likely some kind of MBT type in the 80s)) and a company of BRDMs. The reason the BRM unit is not amphibious might be that they have a bunch of non ambhibious MBTs tagging along (ie not PT 76s). The units respectable HA rating (18) might be due to this.
Send this user an email
08-11-2009, 06:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 07:01 AM by Aaron.)
Here u go, recon units were an unsettled monster, in my oob youll find many different orgs.

In the 1970s and before the recon battalion was a fairly settled beast, i.e. HQ, tank coy with three platoons of PT-76,
recce coy with three platoons of BRDM, depth exploitation company with three platoons. But in the 1980s this all went to hell!
Here are some options/variations I am aware of...
recce coy with 3xBRM-1K, 4xBMP-1/2, 46 persons
OR
recce coy with 3xmedium tank, 3xBRM-1K, 4xBMP-1/2, 55 persons
OR
recce coy with 5xPT-76, 7xBMP-1/2, 60 persons
OR
recce coy with 10xBMP-1/2, 70 persons
OR
recce coy with 1xBRM-1 as HQ vehicle, 3xmedium tanks, 6xBMP-1/-2, 66 persons
COMBINED WITH SOME FORM OF DEPTH RECCE COMPANY such as...
depth recce coy with 10xBMP-1/-2, 77 persons
OR
depth recce coy with 7xBMP-1/-2, 2xBTR-60/70/80, 85 persons
OR
depth recce coy with 1xBRDM-2U, 7xBRDM-2, 6xBTR-60/70-80, 92 persons
OR
depth recce coy with 11xBTR-60/70/80, 93 persons

U also have to remember a WP recon unit had full combat strength, unlike a US M3 having 2 scouts a WP BMP-2 would have the whole squad.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
08-11-2009, 06:59 AM,
Well, IIRC there were many variants of the Recon bn's in WP.

Many had different compositions, including not having tanks in them at all or having 6 tanks or having only BMPs.

But the standard divisional recon battalion in my perfect WP army, would be composed according to the FM-100-2-2 manual.
which you can download from this site:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/4777785/675cb...100-2.html

In a recon battalion belonging to a Motorized Rifle Division/Tank Division according to this manual:
It has two recon companies, each composed of 1 BRM, 6 BMP-2s and
3 T-XX (some had T-55s, T-62, T-64 etc)

It also have a Wheeled Recon Company composed of 12 BRDMs.

1 aditional BRM and 2 BTRs would go to the battalion HQ.

But again, there are many variants, which you can see, if you go through the different recon battalions in the game.

Some have BRDM-1s, others have two wheeled companies.

I hope this information can help you. ;)
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 07:03 AM by PincerDK.)
Looks like that damn dane and Tazaaron beat me to it! :P

Actually I was trying to find the exact same, which Tazaaron posted on Tanknet.
That was pretty fast huh? :happy:
08-11-2009, 07:03 AM,
We pulled the Pincer move on you.:cool:
Rangers Lead the Way