• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Player Profile #18 Airedale.
06-01-2008, 09:50 PM,
Player Profile #18 Airedale.
What is your real name?
Bill Bulley

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?
From my favorite dogs with which some people think that I have an abnormal relationship.

What ladders are you represented on?
Just this one, although the Napoleonic and CW games interest me also.

What is your favourite PC War-game?
I really like almost all of the Panzer Campaign and Modern Campaign products.

Who has been your hardest opponent?
Not sure, probably Roger Anslow. I think that I have learned from them all. I should have done, anyway.

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?
Since the beginning, but forgot my password and had to rejoin as Airedale.

What War interests you the most?
I suppose WW II and the early parts of Korea and WW I.

If you could choose to be present at one military historical event what would it be?
Probably the chance to observe Caesar’s campaigns in Gaul and Britain, since what those areas looked like at that time intrigues me as does how operations were conducted then involving large bodies of troops over long distances.

What is your favourite War movie?
Hard question. I do not think that any are really horrible enough. Perhaps the first 10 minutes and last 5 minutes of "Black Hawk Down". Also the Casualty Hospital scene in "Atonement".

What do you snack on while gaming?
Coffee, Diet Coke, and red wine.

What is your favourite and least favourite aspect of the Blitz website?
I enjoy the people. Scott Hamilton used to live a few blocks from me when he was stationed nearby, although we did not find out until later during a series of letters about his first set of games. He, Glenn Saunders, Paul Sinatra, and Ed Williams have always been true gentlemen and taken the time to carefully answer questions. I have undoubtedly abused them with my pestering inquiries.
Least favorite are the picayune arguments on the message board. It is only a game.

Do you own any war memorabilia?
My qualification badges and field trousers from the late 60's and early 70's which are still great for yard work after all of these years, a set of prayer beads from Baidoa, Somalia, and a Geneva Convention poster in Pushto from the hospital in Jalalabad, Afghanistan.

What is the best military book you have read?
An Army At Dawn by Atkinson, and Burma by Allen.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII? The failure by the victors to set a course towards social and economic justice for the world.

What is the most interesting military documentary you have ever watched?
The Frank Burns Civil War series and also his WW II series that featured my dad's former platoon leader.

Which is your favourite HPS PzC title?
I like most of them. Probably Normandy and Smolensk.

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?
No. Mostly hoping that Ed Williams gets around to tweaking R 42.

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?
This really is only about a game, albeit a pretty fascinating one. Everyone should consider the comments of the more experienced players; there are some very good ones out there. I think of the literally dozens of times I played Ed's Omaha Alt scenario before I understood what he was getting at in terms of game play. Also, I think that some analysis of play after the game can be very useful, although humbling at times. Especially, one should have fun but put the games in perspective in terms of family and friends.
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2008, 05:49 AM,
RE: Player Profile #18 Airedale.
Foul. Wrote:What do you think was the single most important event of WWII? The failure by the victors to set a course towards social and economic justice for the world.

This is an excellent and thought provoking answer. Often my thoughts often turn to a phrase on many holocaust and war memorials around the world, "Never Again", and wonder if we ever really learnt the lessons that the two great wars could have taught us.
06-02-2008, 05:53 AM,
RE: Player Profile #18 Airedale.
Foul. Wrote:What is the best military book you have read?
An Army At Dawn by Atkinson, and Burma by Allen.

I haven't read Atkinson's book but I can heartily recommend Allen's book on Burma. If you only read one book about the Burma campaign I would recommend this one.