• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The T-55 in Danube Front
05-24-2008, 10:02 AM,
The T-55 in Danube Front
I think the D morale rating the game designer's assigned to the 2nd echelon T-55's is too lenient. Knowing that your going up against the latest in armor technology i.e M1 Abrams with a piece of crap should push your morale down to a "G" or "H". Personally, I would be an "I" and would probably break as soon as the command came down to go forward.

I'm being sarcastic, of course. Currently I'm playing as the WP in Aaron's Bolt out of the Blue scenario for Danube Front. To offset NATO's superior technology you get a horde of 2nd echelon Cat B units. The Soviet Union is basically emptied. But nearly all of these are PML's (Poor Morale Leftovers) and are driving embarrasingly outclassed T-55's. I mean, what was the Soviet leadership thinking? Did they actually expect to push NATO out of Germany with this junk? And what if you were a polish conscript driving the T-55. Did you honestly think that you had a chance to survive on a modern battlefield, going up against NATO tanks that could blast you from miles away...even in the pitch dark!

What do you guys think? Personally, I think this mismatch is even more lopsided then the Zulu's versus the Martini Henry. And also I would really like to know if a Polish, Czech or Hungarian soldier really believed they had a chance to win with a tank forty years older then most of the NATO tanks.
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2008, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2008, 08:46 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: The T-55 in Danube Front
Um, for what it's worth, I think that the Soviet leadership was thinking merely defensively. Sure, they had some offensive weapons and tactical training, but that's the best defense, isn't it?

I mean, realistically, speaking, they knew exactly what you're talking about, only moreso.

Unless you were referring to the fictitious leadership represented in the MC games, that is. In that case, all I can say is "what the hell?"
05-24-2008, 01:33 PM,
From what I have read, the only condition that the Soviets would considering invading Germany was if the US implemented REFORGER and I mean for real, not just an exercise. Because under those circumstances they believed that the US was going to invade them.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”
05-27-2008, 07:27 AM,
Well i seriously dubt that polish concripts would fight soviet war...
And as for T-55 they could splash and M-1 from close range and remeber if you send enough of them to the fray they would do it... the Abrams could easly blast a single T-55 but blasting 10 could be a bit difficoult...
05-27-2008, 08:34 AM,
Also keep in mind the Abrams in this game are not the Abrams of today either. In fact I think the Leopard II has better numbers than the Abrams in the game.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-27-2008, 05:49 PM,
Yep Leopard II is the best tank in the World... and Germans had many more then US had M-1's:)
05-28-2008, 04:19 AM,
Ive been going threw the numbers the last two weeks and the original M1s values are two high in the game, even the M1A1 improved on it but still did not catch up to the Leo2A4, now the original Leo2 wasnt that good of a tank, it wasnt intill the upgrades were complete that it put it where it is. In late 1988 the US switched over to M1A1HA production and this tank did surpass the Leo2A4. On the original subject of the T-55, ive been looking heavily at the T-55AM version and have upped alot of its values. Its not that bad of a tank except for gun range and the 100mm cannon, its defense is the same and sometimes better than the Leo1A2/A3.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
05-28-2008, 04:30 AM,
Mafooo Wrote:What do you guys think? Personally, I think this mismatch is even more lopsided then the Zulu's versus the Martini Henry.

Personally? I'm thinking it could be EXACTLY like Isandlwana. ;)
05-28-2008, 07:19 AM,
Steel God Wrote:
Mafooo Wrote:What do you guys think? Personally, I think this mismatch is even more lopsided then the Zulu's versus the Martini Henry.

Personally? I'm thinking it could be EXACTLY like Isandlwana. ;)

That's too funny! :happy:
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2008, 01:48 PM by Volcano Man.)
You have to also consider that the internet was not available back then and the soviet government could certainly control the information that its people consumed. For the most part, in 1985, I am sure the average soviet conscript believed what they were told -- that they had the best equipment in the world. Truthfully, who knows what they were told. They may have been intentionally not told about M1 and Leo2, or they may have been fed misinformation that their armor was lesser than the T55.

But really, what is the difference from this and a M4 Sherman versus the German Panther (or Tiger II for that matter) of World War 2? It made no difference on the quality of the crew, they still overcame the threat with numbers and tactics. It kind of makes you respect the World War 2 allied tanker and the cold war soviet tanker even more when you think about it.
Send this user an email