• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Enemy infiltrators between opertion battles
05-04-2008, 11:36 PM,
Enemy infiltrators between opertion battles
I'm in the midst of an assault operation that has a series of very short battles. It appears that the enemy has infiltrated my lines between new battle set ups to take out one of my reinforcement units Eek

More specifically, during my last round of reinforcement, at the start of a new battle, one of my units (a sniper) showed up as eliminated. I also had a tank hunter, who has been in the operation from the start, who apparently lost his two RPGs and replaced them with molotovs; just in time, too, to take on a bevy of big cats. :( [I went back and checked and this is the exact same unit in every way, including the name]

Has anybody experienced something like this in an operation?

Or, perhaps it's just my NKVD officers, who are pursing their patriotic duties a tad to zealously Fiery
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2008, 03:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2008, 03:40 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
RE: Enemy infiltrators between opertion battles
I've had things disappear before that I was sure I kept intact (like a 75mm gun and some remnants of squads) but can't prove it....
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
05-05-2008, 12:22 PM,
I have had the reinforcements arrived box at the setup stage only to find none of these units on the map. It would not suprise me though.
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM,
Maakt Droog Wrote:More specifically, during my last round of reinforcement, at the start of a new battle, one of my units (a sniper) showed up as eliminated. I also had a tank hunter, who has been in the operation from the start, who apparently lost his two RPGs and replaced them with molotovs

MD - are you saying in the setup phase, at the beginning of a new battle, a sniper appeared eliminated? Or did he die right away at the start of turn 1?

The TH, my only guess is that the designer inserted him into the scenario with the parameters set to a date where they have RPGs, and then later set the date back to before they have RPGs. Between battles, when units reload, it reloaded 'em with what they'd have available at the current date. Just a theory though - what date is the op?
05-05-2008, 06:08 PM,
One theory with the sniper is maybe he was out of ammo and in an area that didn't get enough ammo reload. being a sniper with no ammo the game may have just sent him home.
also the game seems to combine units. so a infantry unit may disapear in the idea that they are now manning your howitzer that lost half its crew. having a sniper work at gunner wouldn't be too bad.
05-06-2008, 12:50 AM,
Thanks for the responses guys. I can offer some additional info to address points that have been raised.

Coil, the sniper appeared eliminated in the set up phase (I noticed before we got to the orders phase for turn 1). He was lying "dead" in the midst of my other arriving reinforcements. I also checked the date at the start of the op and the current date: they are the same, April 16, 1945. Interesting theory, tho'.

Bluehand, my original sniper is still on the board, stalking my foe's tanks at this very moment. The eliminated sniper would have been a second sniper. Perhaps that's the reason? I'm only allowed one sniper; is that even a possible scenario set up? Also, I do not have any guns; just tanks and infantry (with some weapon teams, mgs and spotters).
05-06-2008, 04:32 AM,
Don't forget that the opponent can "infiltrate" into your zone and remain there between phases if he doesn't move them, e.g. smaller elements ahead of the setup zones get a blue box and you can leave them there but not move them around in setup.

If you have unexplained casualties you might be facing some of these elements with a high stealth leader.

Make sense?
05-06-2008, 06:33 AM,
You're right Herroberst that sometimes the enemy has units stuck in forward areas between operation battles. I've had to overrun/was ambushed by a few these at the start of new battles.

In this case, the sniper was KIA before any shooting started. He wasn't on the map during any of the prior battles. He just showed up as an eliminated unit.
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM,
Maakt Droog Wrote:In this case, the sniper was KIA before any shooting started. He wasn't on the map during any of the prior battles. He just showed up as an eliminated unit.

That's just weird.
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM,
It's prolly a British Ploy, don't believe the contents of his briefcase...
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard