• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Player Profile #16 CptCav.
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM,
Player Profile #16 CptCav.
What is your real name?
MARK BREED

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?
While in the Army, I attained the rank of Captain and was serving with the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment; hence, CptCav.

What ladders are you represented on?
HPS Operational Campaigns

What is your favourite PC War-game?
That would be “Danube Front ‘85”. It is the best in the evolution of the MC Germany games. In addition to getting to playtest it, I got to work with Marc Bellizzi in researching the different aspects of it. He was instrumental in getting many enhancements put into the game.

And, as far as those players that complain that the WarPac is too strong or too weak, the research pretty much concluded that the WarPac was not in any position to launch an invasion. It truly was a defensive force regardless of it size. So, the game literally falls into the realm of fantasy. While a fantasy, it was one that us Cold Warriors were told and believed could happen. So, that makes it fun to play as a “what if” the Russians were really the six foot tall big bad bears.

Who has been your hardest opponent?
Esher; he made winning look easy. Also, he was willing to play a campaign game up to the very last turn.

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?
Almost seven years. I joined 22 August 2001.

What War interests you the most?
I fluctuate between three different periods: Napoleonic, the War Between the States (called the Civil War by the Yankees), and the Cold War.

If you could choose to be present at one military historical event what would it be?
The choice is one that only I could appreciate. I would have loved to been sitting in the helicopter when my father earned his Distinguish Service Cross on October 22, 1966. He flew three flights into a hot LZ to extract troops. Each time in, helicopters were getting shot down. On his last flight in, he hovered over the area providing suppressive fire while the last of the troops and crews were extracted.

What is your favourite War movie?
I have three: Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and We Were Soldiers, not necessarily in that order.

What do you snack on while gaming?
Soda, Pretzels or Doritos.

What is your favourite and least favourite aspect of the Blitz website?
The exchange of ideas on the message boards is the best thing. I can’t think of a bad thing about it.

Do you own any war memorabilia?
My father was one of the most decorated helicopter pilots in the Vietnam War (at the time, he was the most decorated Air Defense Artillery officer). He has the Distinguish Service Cross, over 80 Air Medals (many with the Valor device) and many other decorations. When I was commissioned a Lieutenant, he presented me with his sabre that he got while serving in a cavalry unit (D Troop, 5th Cavalry) in Vietnam. In addition, he passed on his flight helmet that has a hole in the visor (he was wearing it when he got hit in the eye). I believe that these qualify as war memorabilia.

What is the best military book you have read?
There are many; but, if I had to chose, I would say “The Campaigns of Napoleon” by David Chandler.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII?
The German invasion of Russia. They bit off more than they could chew.

What is the most interesting military documentary you have ever watched?
Ken Burns’ “The Civil War”. One of my favorite antidotes is one that Shelby Foote describes of a captured Southerner asked why he was fighting, especially as he was too poor to own slaves. His answer was “’cause you’re down here”.

Which is your favourite HPS PzC title?
”Danube Front ‘85”; see above.

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?
I had been playing Matrix’ “For Liberty!” It is a game on the American Revolution, which incorporates production, morale, training, and readiness. Units are battalions/regiments (up to 500 men). I just wish that it had an editor similar to the PzC/MC games so that I could tweak it a little for my liking.

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?
Help Foul and the rest of us develop more scenarios for the games that you love, get involved in play-testing. Play-testers help everyone in the club. Because play-testers help encourage designers, like myself, to design more scenarios. And, this helps the club as more scenarios get developed that are play-balanced and, thus, more enjoyable.
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2008, 07:23 AM,
RE: Player Profile #16 CptCav.
If like me you enjoyed Marks profile, you can also read his article "My Experiences during Reforger" by clicking the link below..

https://www.theblitz.club/articles/histo...php?id=130
05-02-2008, 08:52 AM,
CptCav

Has your father any intention of writing a book on his experiences. It sounds like it would make a powerful story?
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM,
Thanks FLG. He has thought about it and even put together a biography in outline form. However, he is still working at 70 and appears to be content to do so for some time to come. So, I am not sure if he will get the time.

I must say it was interesting in the '70s quietly listening to him and his buddies reminiscing. He does have several good stories to tell.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”
05-03-2008, 04:38 AM,
Capt:

I really enjoyed the stories about your father. Ditto on him writing a book. It would be a great read.