• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What can you say about Squad Battle series to a new player
04-27-2008, 05:30 AM,
What can you say about Squad Battle series to a new player
Yes, I'm a "New" player.
I've bought Squad Battles: Vietnam many years ago and than I've stopped.
Many other games with more graphic appeal were there to take me away.

But the Squad Battles series longevity has made me curious about it.
So I've ordered some of these titles.

Can you say me why you Squad Battles grognards have keep so hard util now.

Thanks
(maybe a new Squad Battles dog)
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2008, 06:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2008, 06:34 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
RE: What can you say about Squad Battle series to a new player
I can speak for all of us, but one thing that is probably a common thread is that we are not here for the graphics! Ha.

I play because of several reasons. The main one is that I like a tactical vs strategic level game. I especially like battalion sized and lower org. Three companies is what I would consider optimal for this engine, at least to my taste.

That said, the number of regiment/battalion sized (and lower) engagements in the wars over the years are just about infinite. This series enjoys some of the best scenarios designers around. I have said before that just having the "Africa at War" mod (on the Echo 4 site) for Pacific War is worth the price of that game.

I was also a former player of the Avalon Hill title "Squad Leader" and "Advanced Squad Leader" which is where this game got it's start.

Our ladder/board is a small group, but we all pretty much know each other and we're a pretty friendly bunch. If you want to know anything about the game just ask and most likely someone knows the answer as several of the guys here are either playtesters from day one, scenario designers, or both.

Anyway, for me it boils down the game scale and the diversity of the encounters/theatres available. It's just a fun place to be. And after playing a few games you start to see the nuances that aren't immediately noticed (ie...how the lay of the land is, the right weapon for the right job, using the terrain and it's inherent features to max advantage, etc).

I love it here.
04-29-2008, 09:33 AM,
I like the challenge & diversity of the games. Have been playing the SB series since Vietnam came out - and while I'm primarily a pre-twentieth century gamer this is my preferred series for all the modern actions.
04-30-2008, 12:28 PM,
i used to play conflict in vietnam and crusade in europe on my commodore 64 back in the 80s and i loved them so the grafix to me arent that bad. i didnt play wargames again until i picked up tour of duty by tiller about a year ago. i really like it and find the squad battles community to be active and very helpful. Stick around for awhile and give it a shot i think you will be happy with the games,,, and if not speak your mind,,, odds are one of the people you are playing was involved with making some aspect of the game. The games are always being updated and improved.

good luck and send a game my way of your choice if you want.

welcome to the club
james
[email protected]
Easy,,,,, Just dont leed em as much,,,,War is hell!!!!!!
04-30-2008, 06:00 PM,
jamesirc Wrote:i used to play conflict in vietnam and crusade in europe on my commodore 64 back in the 80s and i loved them so the grafix to me arent that bad. i didnt play wargames again until i picked up tour of duty by tiller about a year ago. i really like it and find the squad battles community to be active and very helpful. Stick around for awhile and give it a shot i think you will be happy with the games,,, and if not speak your mind,,, odds are one of the people you are playing was involved with making some aspect of the game. The games are always being updated and improved.

good luck and send a game my way of your choice if you want.

welcome to the club
james
[email protected]

Thank you James, at now I have only SQ: Vietnam, but I've ordered Tour of Duty, The Proud and the Few, Advance of the Reich and Soviet-Afghan War from this seller http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo....ttles.html
so when I'll got them I'll let you know.
p.s. Me too played Vietnam and Crusade in Europe many years ago on Amiga, very nice games indeed.
[email protected]
cheers
04-30-2008, 08:55 PM,
NWS is a good resller, he'll take care of you.

Enjoy the games!!
05-10-2008, 09:41 AM,
I'll jump in here as well.

Certainly this is one of the best tactical games I've played. The attention to little details is one of my favorite things about it. You can fire weapons individually, leaders have names and order around accurate OOBs, and the scale is just perfect.

Quote:I was also a former player of the Avalon Hill title "Squad Leader" and "Advanced Squad Leader" which is where this game got it's start.

It is very close to the tactical squad level boardgames. Squad Leader and Lock 'n Load (the ones I have played most) are very similar to SB and I think that is part of the appeal. While other games attempt to offer "real time" or "pausable time" and resource hog graphics, SB remains so much more ... playable. It is a pleasure to sit down and play a SB pbem turn, very much like having a favorite boardgame sitting out on my desk and coming back to it often!

I also feel that the diversity in titles is very good, and models well the differences in time periods and weapons (and therefore tactics) used.

The maps are beautiful. The counter artwork is very nice, and the games are rock solid to play (no crashes).

SB has eclipsed CM as my favorite computer game series!
05-13-2008, 05:15 PM,
Hey Dazooz, I know about you.

I'm a Lock'n Load Fan as well.
And one of the few, like you, that are busy to cut the demos.
Cheers
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin