• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New SB game details.........
04-03-2008, 07:16 AM,
Thumbs_Up  New SB game details.........
HPS Simulations & John Tiller
Winter War Finland 1939-1940 + Continuation War 1941

Included as a 400 page pdf file, is the book
"The White Death - The Russo-Finnish Winter War 1939-1940, a military/political overview"
by William R. Trotter, who also wrote "A Frozen Hell: the Russo-Finnish War".

Introduction and overview
For 105 days, in 1939-1940, Finland took on the vast manpower of the Soviet army.
The Finns put up a fanatical defense of their homeland, inflicting horrific casualties on the invading Soviet army.
In the end, the overwhelming number of Soviet troops and tanks sent into Finland forced the Finns to sue for peace, but they walked away from the conflict against their much bigger neighbour with their independence and national pride intact.
Their struggle influenced the landscape and direction of the entire world war that followed, and perhaps the outcome as well. Winter War is a tactical level simulation of this conflict using the Squad Battles system.

On the morning of the 30th November 1939, the Soviet Army invades Finland with 19 divisions and 5 tank brigades.
Helsinki is bombed by Soviet SB2 medium bombers. Immense Soviet resources in men and material surged across the entire length of the border in an attempt to crush the outnumbered Finnish military.
Instead of the rapid Blitzkrieg type victory Stalin's high command had predicted, the ill-prepared and poorly led Soviet Army marched into a frozen, desolate meat-grinder, learning the meaning of "sisu", a Finnish term that could be roughly translated as strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.
Instead of fleeing from the vast Soviet onslaught, the Finns fought bravely, using their knowledge of the land to inflict massive casualties on the invaders, and earning themselves the nickname of The White Death.
The Winter War had begun.

Features and scenarios:
Winter War offers
58 stand alone scenarios. Among them:
Terijoki,
Soumussalmi,
Koukkuniemi Peninsula,
Tolvajärvi,
Honkaniemi,
Karhumaki,
Petsamo,
Viipuri,
Tuppura Island,
Lemetti pocket,
Mäkinen,
Kiantajarvi, etc

3 campaigns
Riders of Kalevela - Northern Karelia
Kollaa River
Summa - Hell on Earth

A wide sampling of actions from this conflict, but also including the "Continuation War" of 1941.
24 unique maps ranging in size from 1000 hexes to 38,000 hexes providing ample ground for scenario designers to create their own actions.
Scenario editor
OOB, parameter, database & sub-map editors

Engine changes include:
· Ability to use Asymmetric Scoring in scenarios.
· New timed detonation feature for certain weapons.
· Armor assault modifier for vehicles assaulting infantry in Clear hexes.
· Ability to perform Column Movement via the "Alt" key.
· New level in OOB so Squads can be added as an organization.
· Capture feature, so prisoners and civilians can be modeled in scenarios.

Play modes
One player against A/I,
2 players Hot Seat,
Play By E-Mail,
LAN & Internet play.

Minimum requirements:
-Pentium-based 500mhz+ PC with 64 megabytes of RAM.
-300 megabytes of hard drive space
-Microsoft Windows 98/2K/XP/Vista operating system.
-Microsoft DirectX 9.0+
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2008, 08:36 AM,
RE: New SB game details.........
Interesting.. my have to look into this as uts an area of conflict I havent gamed much in.
04-03-2008, 12:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2008, 10:42 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
Trotter's book, A Frozen Hell, is excellent. It was a conflict I didn't know much about, but once I delved into it, there was some really interestint stuff to learn. You won't be disappointed.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
04-05-2008, 04:16 AM,
Just went to Hps website and they now have Winter War up for sale so its an official game now we can start posting for games.
04-05-2008, 02:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2008, 02:30 PM by Nikb.)
She is a real beauty. I would highly recommend this title. The scenario designers have done a superb job. Great fun :)
04-06-2008, 08:50 AM,
This game is highly recommended, gents! No easy victories to be had here... When the Finns come at you on their skis and with their machine guns at the ready, you better duck....:smoke:
04-06-2008, 09:10 AM,
Yup, excited to get some games logged on this title!
04-07-2008, 01:21 AM,
Roger all of those sentiments. Anyone who enjoys SB and wants to pick up a stellar game, Winter War is it. Even if someone doesn't know much about the conflict, it's a great learning tool and the scenarios are all top flight.
04-10-2008, 04:08 AM,
I guess asking for a nice little collection be taken up to enable the purchase of said new game for an old retired Navy vet would be met with little more than icy stares eh? :rolleyes:

OR....we could consider and early 50th Bday present?? I mean, come on now...my special day just happens to be one of the most "revered" days in military history...D-Day. NO?? Cry

Come on boys! Rally 'round the old Chief Petty Officer!! Help a brother out!! I am so poor I can't afford to pay attention!! :hissy:

I am still saving up for SAW. Cry
04-10-2008, 04:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2008, 04:27 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Riley D. Smith Wrote:I guess asking for a nice little collection be taken up to enable the purchase of said new game for an old retired Navy vet would be met with little more than icy stares eh? :rolleyes:

OR....we could consider and early 50th Bday present?? I mean, come on now...my special day just happens to be one of the most "revered" days in military history...D-Day. NO?? Cry

Come on boys! Rally 'round the old Chief Petty Officer!! Help a brother out!! I am so poor I can't afford to pay attention!! :hissy:

I am still saving up for SAW. Cry

My son was born on the anniversary of the Invasion of Iwo Jima this year. Talk about getting an icy stare when I brought that up in the delivery room!

Eek