• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AA Fire
03-11-2008, 02:14 PM,
AA Fire
Never under-estimate AA fire! Great against air...and also versus ground targets. Very versatile!

Here, a Brit 40mm AA gun takes out an enemy SP gun...

Attached Files
.jpg   AA.JPG (Size: 95 KB / Downloads: 45)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2008, 10:16 AM,
RE: AA Fire
Take the full power items - Allied 40mm, Russian 37mm, German 37mm or 20mm Quad. All are much more effective than the wimpy single barrel 20mm and 25mm types, which are annoyance items only.

The full power items get 16 blast and high ROF and accuracy, making them effective against infantry and against guns, as well as light armor targets (the 37mm and 40mm especially so). The heavier ones will also wreck full tanks even without penetrations (though they can get those too, with a flank) - they will just hit so often one of them will get track damage or gun damage.

The German 20mm quad is also quite "stealthy", remaining mere sound at 400 meter range if located in woods cover. The bigger ones need more like 850 meters to remain sound - only the larger maps will allow that.

All the serious types are also typically enough to hold enemy AC to a their bombing passes, making them break off before the dangerous strafing runs, or at worst after a single strafing pass.
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Hey Mad B and JasonC, what a pity your AA posts will eventually scroll into near-oblivion here in the main forum, so why not also post them in the Tac Discussion area where they'll remain for posterity?
There's already a "Taking Flak" thread in there where they'll be quite at home..;)

HERE - https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=39842

Sample post from there -
Note the excellent flak range, almost a mile, and note the vehicle is firing while moving..
[Image: mobflakA.jpg]
03-13-2008, 12:11 AM,
JasonC Wrote:Take the full power items - Allied 40mm, Russian 37mm, German 37mm or 20mm Quad. All are much more effective than the wimpy single barrel 20mm and 25mm types, which are annoyance items only.

Sorry, would have to disagree. I regular take the German 20mm and have had them take out numerous allied TD's, H/T's and scouts; and although they aren't much cop against heavier armour again i've had numerous gun damage and imobiles.
03-13-2008, 12:44 AM,
Kelen Wrote:Sorry, would have to disagree. I regular take the German 20mm and have had them take out numerous allied TD's, H/T's and scouts; and although they aren't much cop against heavier armour again i've had numerous gun damage and imobiles.

I take the German 20mm a lot because it comes dirt cheap with many of the infantry battalions. A very good return on points spent.
03-13-2008, 12:45 AM,
4x 20mm flak is pretty normal for me. I've had alot of success with them against KV's or even Tigers, especially if they are in pairs. Wait when they've no cover to retreat and start to fire. Usually, 1-4 min of firing does the trick to the tracks.
03-13-2008, 03:10 AM,
Welcome back, JasonC, and I too would love to see your excellent tactical posts permanently in the Tac discussion area.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
03-17-2008, 04:51 AM,
Single 20s or 25s, like ATRs, will not score gun damage or track immobization results against full tanks even empting their entire ammo loads at them. 37s and 40s will - rapidly.

Firing at infantry or guns, the singles will maintain a pin as long as the fire can be maintained. Quad 20s, 37s and 40s, will all break the target in a single minute of fire.
03-17-2008, 07:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2008, 07:54 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
You can't beat good solid tests to cut through all the guesswork and speculation..:)
Here, my test proves that a single German 20mm flak can immobilise a KV-1, force its crew to bail, and also damage a KV-1's gun ..:)

1 - The flak immobilises the KV on only turn 1
2 - Confirms it really is a 20mm Flak
3 - After peppering the tank for more turns, the crew bail on turn 6
4 - In this separate test the 20mm Flak damages a KV's gun on turn 3

[Image: FlakvKV.gif]

PS - I already knew all the above anyway because I've had tanks immobd and suffer damaged guns in actual games, so the tests were just to convince the unbelievers out there..;)
03-17-2008, 07:56 AM,
JasonC Wrote:Single 20s or 25s, like ATRs, will not score gun damage or track immobization results against full tanks even empting their entire ammo loads at them.

Odd, I must then have a kindly supply Sargeant who upgrades my AA guns after I buy them because I've had 20mm's do both. :whis: