• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Yes or No ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, sure, why not?
100.00%
12 100.00%
No, are you DAFT?
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Eisernes Kreuz
03-08-2008, 02:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2008, 02:27 AM by Koen.)
Eisernes Kreuz
LINK
visit WaT HERE!!!
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2008, 06:57 AM,
RE: Eisernes Kreuz
The Iron Cross had been around for over 100 years before Hitler hijacked it and slapped a swastika in the middle.
Now he's gone, so the German military should have it back, preferably without the swastika..;)
03-08-2008, 07:24 AM,
Of course that presumes that the modern German armed forces might actually engage in combat before the sun burns out 7 million years from now.....possible in theory, but unlikely X 10 to the 23rd power.

I would support the return of that medal, but in today's uber-PC Europe I just can't see it happening. Too much baggage from the Nazi period. But I'm not European, so maybe I mis-read their sentiments. We got some Germans and French members don't we? I think Jawsconan is French, or at least in France. I wonder how they feel about it?
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
03-08-2008, 08:25 AM,
Anyway modern German tanks and planes already carry something looking like the Iron Cross painted on them, and that doesn't bother anybody..:)

LEOPARD 2
[Image: leopard2.gif]

TORNADO
[Image: Luftwaffe_Tornado.gif]
03-08-2008, 09:34 AM,
In 1957 a ''politically correct'' version of the Iron Cross (and also Knights Cross) was designed for wear by qualified recipents. A link with photos and some history...scroll down to just below center of the page....

(I don't see why it shouldn't be brought back again!)

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-meda...cross2.htm

~~MB

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
03-08-2008, 09:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM by Jobu88.)
Quote:In 1957 a ''politically correct'' version of the Iron Cross (and also Knights Cross) was designed for wear by qualified recipents. A link with photos and some history...scroll down to just below center of the page....

Huh. I learn something new every day...not hard considering what I've got to begin with....

All well and good, but seriously unless these are handed out for summer training, where are German troops ever going to have the opportunity to be awarded these medals?? They're barely allowed outside the wire in Afghanistan & took virtually an act of the BundesTag to authorize even that. I don't want to start a political food fight and get banned but seriously where are German troops going to fight in the near -to-distant future?

03-08-2008, 10:20 AM,
My impression is that todays younger generation of Germans like to mischievously send up the whole Nazi era, this vid is hilarious, they've got Der Fuhrers voice inflections off to a tee..:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMZDfWAAuI
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM,
That has got to be the dumbest video I have ever seen. It was actually painful to watch. As far as what France thinks about the medal, why would the Germans care what France thinks? It's Germany's medal.
Lord Bane
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM,
Quote:As far as what France thinks about the medal, why would the Germans care what France thinks? It's Germany's medal.

They are both charter members of the EU, the world leader in PC touchy-feely. I'll stop there so as not to get banned but all it would take is one Frenchman to file a complaint saying that it hurt his feelings and the EU would tell Germany that they can't reinstate the medal.

I will repeat that I see nothing wrong with it--- as the Baron and Spike point out, the medal predates the Nazi era.

03-08-2008, 01:17 PM,
Hmmm....I guess things must have really changed in Germany. I lived there for three years in the 90s and the Germans I knew could care less about the France and any opinions they might have. Infact, if they thought it would hurt France's feelings, the Germany I knew would probably have pushed it through to spite them.