• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Player Profile #13 Sgt Fury.
03-02-2008, 02:43 AM,
Thumbs_Up  Player Profile #13 Sgt Fury.
What is your real name?

Dave Gillies

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?

As a kid, I loved to read comics and one of my favourites was Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos. They could take any position, firing from the hip, with no one being more than scratched (except, of course, for the new guy that issue who was either a Nazi spy or got hurt bad). I first started using this handle in online play for Close Combat (part 1) and just kept it going here. I even dug up a Sgt Fury image to use for my persona and Steel God (another cool nickname) was kind enough to upload it for me.

What ladders are you represented on?

I mostly play PzC and MC games. I do have a strong interest in the ACW as well, but just don’t get much action there. I have a couple Napoleonic and squad battles games too. And, I guess, I have a few of the “classic wargames” from that ladder but I have no intention of playing them anymore. I am also on the Naval ladder for WITP, UV.

What is your favourite PC War-game?

I am pretty impressed by monster games. So I like the looks of the full Central Front game that is part of D85. I think the M44 game is pretty cool too. It is difficult to try to play these 1:1 so team games are the way to go. I would love to see an S41 redo with the M44, S41 and M41 maps stitch together, perhaps starting at July 1, 1941.

I also enjoy WITP for its sheer scale. I have tried pbem on this at 1-day per mail, but have never got past Feb 42.

Who has been your hardest opponent?

Esher (who has been inactive for a while, but was the ladder leader by a wide margin for a while). Although we have a pretty even record, he beat me in every single tournament where we met. Very frustrating….

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?

Since January 2002

What War interests you the most?

WW2 but I also have an interest in the ACW.

If you could choose to be present at one military historical event what would it be?

I would like to have been in the D-Day planning meetings for, say, the full year before the invasion, with Ike and the boys to take in all the details and nuances of the plan, the deceptions and the trade-offs.

What is your favourite War movie?

Platoon and Saving Pvt Ryan are some good ones.

What do you snack on while gaming?

Coffee with cream usually but I guess that’s not a snack. Probably yoghurt is my fave.

What is your favourite and least favourite aspect of the Blitz website?

The forums are the best. I especially like that Glenn Saunders is a regular poster. The online chat is not very useful – never seen anyone there.

Do you own any war memorabilia?

I have a couple of my dad’s RCAF flight jackets. He flew in a PBY over the Atlantic on submarine patrol in 1944.

What is the best military book you have read?

I quite liked Rising Sun by John Toland.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII?

Invention of the A-bomb.

What is the most interesting military documentary you have ever watched?

The Civil War by Ken Burns is great and in my humble opinion much better than his more recent work “The War”

Which is your favourite HPS PzC title?

This is a hard one. I own them all and each is great. I would have to say Minsk 44 is probably my favourite of the bunch right now. D85 is the best in the MC line.

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?

I will probably pick up the Admiral’s edition of WITP if/when it comes out. I have been meaning to buy Assault on Crete for a while now too. And, of course, I will buy anything that comes out for PzC or MC in the meantime. I have way too many games to need more of course. Just need more time or a boss who will let me play at work (fat chance!).

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?

Keep your powder dry!
Quote this message in a reply