• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Problems With the Volcano Site
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM,
Problems With the Volcano Site
Hi Ed,

For the past couple of days I've been trying to get into your site (got a new PC and want to load my games up) but every time your site fires up, it freezes trying to load the Paypal and Donation graphics and then stops all together.

Is there anything you can do to make your site less like Fort Knox to use Big Grin

Cheers,
Adam.
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2008, 07:37 PM,
RE: Problems With the Volcano Site
FYI the site loads up just fine for me. :chin:
03-01-2008, 08:47 PM,
Can you enter your user name and password?
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2008, 09:00 PM by Adam Parker.)
I've found a way in. As soon as the page opens I stop it. I enter my User Name et al and a "must have cookies" pop up comes up! Why?

However, Ithough I'm now logged in I can't click Downloads. But I can click the link to Danube Front. So I click that and Downloads now works...

Funny web site design...
03-01-2008, 10:45 PM,
I never have to put in my user or password, once i had registered it has always just loaded up.

Do you "log out" of the site? I never do, so that might have something to do with it?

Maybe Email Ed [email protected] to ask his opinion :chin:
03-01-2008, 11:50 PM,
The only problem that I experience there is that I get a "Not Authorized" :conf: message whenever I log out. It doesn't seem to affect my ability to access the site & download anything though.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
03-02-2008, 07:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM by Volcano Man.)
Yes, you must allow cookies to access the site, the only thing that it does is store your login information from page to page so that you remain logged in (or something like that). Don't worry, I am not stealing your bank account info or or anything like that. ;)

Additional:

I think there are three cookies kept on the site actually. The first is to keep you login name and password so that you don't have to login each time you visit or, most importantly, every time you change to another page. The second is for the Paypal link because the site must maintain a cookie to be able to know that when you are clicking the link you are indeed donating to paypal and not some shady hacker stealing your credit card info. The third is the Blue Host ad at the bottom which is where the site is hosted. The cookie for that just keeps track that when someone checks out Blue Host it tells them that the visitor came from vmods website. I think that if someone visits Blue Host and if they ever sign up then they may apply a credit on the website hosting fee. It is worth a shot since it costs money to keep the website on the net and to keep the domain name registered. Not all cookies are bad, but it seems that in recent years they have become a sort of taboo. The paranoia towards cookies is quite astounding these days.

If you are using Fire Fox then the best thing to do is go the vmods homepage and then click on Tools > Options > then go the privacy tab and in the cookies section select "Exceptions". Then in the next window type in www.volcanomods.com and click on "Allow". You shouldn't have a problem after you to that. But if you are a paranoid with cookies then I am afraid that I cannot help you. There really isn't anything "funny" about the website design I don't think, it is just that it is uses the latest CSS technology and I am using a few cookies to try to pay the bills that no one seems to care about.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore problems.
Send this user an email
03-02-2008, 07:37 AM,
Hi Ed, never had a problem with the web site and, for what it's worth, very much appreciate all the work you've done to provide the mods and alternate scenarios for the rest of us.
03-02-2008, 09:50 AM,
It must be Norton's Phising Filter then but now I know the way in by stopping the Paypal and other cookies loading, I'm happy.

Btw I do have cookies active, using whatever setting Bill Gates gave as recommended. So again, it must be a Norton protection thing.

Long time mate! Hope you're well.

Cheers,
Adam.
(PS: I'm working my way through the rules to Mark Walker's Eisenbach Gap board game. Unsure what to make of it so far. I might just go back to Fulda/NGP which is where my gut feel tells me is he best place to be :-D).
03-02-2008, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2008, 10:06 AM by Volcano Man.)
Ah, so it seems that your computer is the one that is built like Ft Knox. ;) Well, if you have a cookie filter on top of whatever filter IE or Firefox has then yes, you will definitely have problems. I know that there is nothing that can be said for those that just absolutely refuse to accept cookies any sort, but I can't really do anything for those people either.
Send this user an email