• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Anybody else having WF crashes ?
02-14-2008, 04:07 AM,
Anybody else having WF crashes ?
It only happens occassionally (about once a turn or so), and I've not noticed it happening in EF games.

Using Matrix with all current patches installed. Game always starts fine, and no problems with anything else. Just every once in a while for no apparent reason the "We're sorry, WF experienced a problem" box pops up -then back to main menu.

There's no pattern to it that I can tell and, by searching the Matrix forum and the tech pages here, there's no solution (at least not yet).

It's not a huge headache, as a reboot/restart will take the game back to it's last saved state.....just causes a little delay.

Did I miss a 'tech tip' somewhere ?
Cheers,
Brigs
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2008, 04:22 AM,
RE: Anybody else having WF crashes ?
Brigs I would suggest you reinstall and reload all the updates using the link on the ME main screen. I've never had that problem with my copy :conf:

Tide1
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-14-2008, 04:33 AM,
Ok, Tide1, I'll give that a shot. I'm not optimistic about it, 'cause the whole install/patch process was smooth first time thru.....but you never know.

Just a thought.....did you install from disks or from the download file ?

Thanks for getting back.
Brigs
02-14-2008, 06:20 AM,
It was A digital download filecheers

Tide1
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-14-2008, 06:48 AM,
Hmm, that is odd.

Do you know you are doing, or the computer is doing during the crash?

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
02-14-2008, 07:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2008, 07:40 AM by Huib Versloot.)
-If you happen to have 2 (or more) computers, does it happen on both?

-and have you installed any custom scenarios that you have downloaded recently?
02-14-2008, 12:21 PM,
Hi guys,

Yeah, mine's the digital download also, Tide1. Gotta love it when you can buy it and play it, all within a couple of hours, and never have to start up the car. :)

It is very odd, Jason. No rhyme or reason to it.....sometimes while a vehicle is moving, sometimes while guys are moving, and sometimes when nothing is happening at all and I'm just sitting there staring at the screen planning my next uncoordinated attack. :)

All background stuff shut down.....printers, virus scanner, etc. I did get a 'DEP' shutdown once.....added WF to the DEP exception list, but no joy.

There's one last thing I can think of to try before a reinstall. Maybe, because of the age of the original code, for some reason it doesn't like dual core cpu's. It's a real shot in the dark (because it hasn't happened yet in EF), but I'll try shutting off one side and see what happens. Can't hurt to try, eh.

By the way, thanks to you and all the crew for firing a spark back into the CS. It's a great hobby.

No custom scenarios yet, Huib, all stock battles.......'Old Friends', 'Gabr Saleh', 'Task Force Lovelady', and 'Impregnable'. Only have the one pc, used both for business (standard apps) and gaming.

I just finished reading your scenario design/map making articles. Good stuff.....you make it sound easy enough for a regular human like myself to give it a try. :)

Thanks for the input gents.
Cheers,
Brigs
02-15-2008, 12:01 AM,
I have the disk, not the digital download... it cares not one wit about Dual Core Processors... I run on two different machines (desktop and laptop), both dual core running XP... and have no problems except lack of time to play turns lately... but the 4-day weekend is here and I get some time for me to play and work on my new scenarios..

Woo Hoo... :whis:
02-15-2008, 02:06 AM,
I had this with talonsoft's EF2 version and I think it was due to the screen resolution size. Try making it smaller in your default screen settings.
If it wasn't that, let me know and I'll try harder to remember what I did to fix it.. :conf:[/i]
02-15-2008, 04:13 AM,
Thanks Jim, that's good news about the dual core.....one less thing to have to remember before firing up a turn. Wish I could help with the time problem. We need Stephen Hawking to take up wargaming....... he could probably fix us up with something. :)

Hmm, desktop is set at 1024x768 Stryker. That ought to be ok, but again, you just never know. Problem is it happens only once in a while.

Well, I just got an email from Matrix last night that the disks have shipped. Think what I'm gonna do is wait for them to get here, then give my troops a liberty card for a few hours while I do a fresh install. That'll probably sort the whole thing out.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)
Cheers,
Brigs