• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
[Image: Trid.png]

THE PRIZE
This hallowed trophy will be sitting on the victors desk inscribed with his name in time to catch the first rays of the April springtime sun..
[Image: trophy-Trident.png]

Sign-up is now open, let me know which side you prefer (German or American/ Brit) and i'll send 001, and i'll also send a copy of the map separately in case you want to examine it before making your force purchases..:)

THE FORMAT
It's a straightforward 2000-pt fictional Cmak 20+ turn QB ME to the same popular formula as Malitz, ie you play just one game (against me), and whoever beats me by the highest score wins the immortal silver trophy, I can't win it myself, I'm just the organiser (sniffle)
Sign-up is now open, the competition ends midnight March 31st (7 weeks length) so there's no hurry, simply enter anytime before that date, it's open to the whole CM community from all clubs.

As with Malitz, the final percentage score readouts will be used to determine winners even if the program calls it a Draw. So for example if a game ends 51% - 49%, the guy with 51% wins the game)
All games will count for the Blitz ladder as Draw/ Minor/ Tac/ Maj/ Tot, no other ladder unless by prior arrangement.
Every competitor is guaranteed an endgame screenshot in this Trident thread showing the tortured final front lines buckling and heaving, plus of course I'll post Combat Footage screenshots throughout each game.
Any questions?

THE FIELD
We use my stunning new Trident map below with Unrestricted purchase (ie players can spend on anything they like, for example they can buy all-infantry if they don't like noisy smelly tanks, or they can buy a huge tank army, or a mix of the two, it's up to them)
It's May 45 so the Brits/USA will at last have a good choice of excellent armour.

As you see, it's divided into 3 individual sectors (hence the name 'Trident' (City/ Mixed / Woods), and each sector is isolated from the others by impassable rivers with wooded banks.
Therefore, whatever forces a player assigns to a sector must operate there the whole game because it's impossible to hop into other sectors or even get LOS into them (except for aircraft)
Therefore the choice facing each player before the start is not only what forces to buy, but whether to commit them to just 1 sector, 2 sectors, or all 3 sectors, and in what proportion per sector.
(In fact nobody would want to risk committing everything to just one sector with its 3 flags because that'd mean he'd be handing the other 2 sectors and their 6 flags to his opponent on a platter if his oppo had gone for those)
Most people will therefore probably go for at least 2 sectors, and perhaps make a smaller token effort for the 3rd.
[Image: Tri-map.png]

[Image: Trid-map5.gif]

CITY SECTOR
[Image: Trid-map4.gif]

MIXED TERRAIN SECTOR
[Image: Trid-map3.gif]

WOODS SECTOR
[Image: Trid-map2.gif]

PARAMETERS
[Image: Trid-params.png]
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 11:25 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
[Image: spart-crossed.jpg]
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

SIGNED UP SO FAR

Willow
Bert Blitzkrieg(FGM)
Jobu88
DasTiger
Mad Baron
Fluidwill
Elltee
Stndrtnfhr
Kawaiku
Combat Wombat
Colonel Talvela
Marshall666 (WPC)
RNL Tiger
Panzer Dan
Raz Atoth
Owl
Odies
Lord Bane (FGM)
Huzaar
Dogface
Feldfebel
John B50 (FGM)
Guderian
Zilkin
Warhammer11A
Zilkin
Jawsconan

(Of the 26 competitors, 17 have chosen to be German, and 9 have chosen to be Aliies)

Competitors Homelands
[Image: World-mapC.png]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Image: spart-throat.jpg]
"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which human beings can indulge" -Gen George Patton

FINAL LEADER BOARD (March 31st)

Guderian (total vic 92-8) = winning margin 84
RNL Tiger (total vic 90-10) = marg 80
Lord Bane (maj vic 83-17) = marg 66
Warhammer11A and Jawsconan (maj vic 76-24) = marg 52
Marshall666 (maj vic 73-27) = marg 46
Owl (maj vic 72-28) = marg 44
John B50 (tac vic 68-32) = marg 36
Colonel Talvela (tac vic 67-33) = marg 34
Stndrtnfhr (tac vic 66-34) = marg 32
Odies and Bert Blitzkrieg (tac vic 65-35) = marg 30
Das Tiger (tac vic 64-36) = marg 28
Feldfebel and Jobu (min vic 59-41) = marg 18
Willow and Zilkin (min vic 57-43) marg = 14
Panzer Dan (draw 55-45) marg = 10
Huzaar (draw 52-48) = marg 4
Elltee (draw 51-49) = marg 2

POS record - Played 25, Won 5, Lost 20
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM,
Gimme some of that POS, I'll take the brits if its free choice?
fluidwill at yahoo dot com
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM,
looks good to me - i'll take the Allies too
02-08-2008, 08:03 AM,
Sign me up as axis POS, your last one was great fun and this one looks even better.

Stndrtnfhr Out!
02-08-2008, 09:06 AM,
PRE-BATTLE SHOT
Posing as wildlife photographers, this German platoon pauses in a marshy clearing in the wooded sector to observe the village ahead with envious eyes..
[Image: Wood-ville.gif]
02-08-2008, 10:35 AM,
Looking forward to it. I would like to try as Germans this time. :smoke:
02-08-2008, 10:36 AM,
PRE-BATTLE SHOT
This M8 commander in the Mixed Terrain sector radios back to HQ -"It's all quiet here. Too quiet"..
[Image: Mixed.gif]
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM,
PRE-BATTLE SHOT
As smoke from burning oil dumps streaks the sky, this machine-gunner in the City Sector patiently awaits the arrival of the Allied onslaught..
[Image: city.gif]
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2008, 03:18 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
[Image: Spy.png]

TOP SECRET ENDGAME PROCEDURE

Exact scores will be kept secret til the end of the competition, so don't tell a soul, don't even report it on the ladder til then in case somebody peeks..:)

That way, the competition will be kept fresher throughout its whole duration because nobody will know how anybody else is doing!

It also introduces a touch of 'fog of war' realism, as real-life commanders only know how their own particular battles are going without knowing the big picture.

However, as results come in, I WILL post a screenshot of the final front lines and simply say "Charlie beat POS', but will blank out the score readout panel.

And of course i'll go on posting Combat Footage screenshots throughout the competition so people will at least be able to glean some intelligence on the overall situation..:)

[Image: ger-map.jpg]