• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

OSTKRIEG TOURNAMENT STARTUP
02-02-2008, 09:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2008, 09:53 AM by Tide1.)
OSTKRIEG TOURNAMENT STARTUP
Generals The Ostkrieg Tournament is now underway. :smg: Axis side starts first. Please have a look at the web page for the scenario setup and other important info.
http://home.comcast.net/~tide1/index4.htm

I would also like to welcome and thank all the members who are taking part in one of my tournaments for the first time and of course the members who have played in some or all of them. Good Luck to all and Good Hunting.

Along with the extra ladder points and the cool tourny badges I'm awarding at the end.
For this tournament Rich Hamilton has graciously agreed to award the winner of the tournament with a free HPS game :thumbs_up: Thanks Rich.

Tide1
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Thumbs_Up  RE: OSTKRIEG TOURNAMENT STARTUP
Gents,
If you are to get the maximum enjoyment out of my scenario it is well worth reading the info below, this info is also included in the zip file, you must use the specified optional rules :soap:

Thanks Gramps for setting this up :bow:

XP2 Mogilev_PBEM.scn

This is a modified H2H version of the Mogilev scenario from the Michael Avanzini/Rick Bancroft xp2 scenario pack, which at the time of writing had a Blitz score of 1 German win against 11 Russian win’s.

Units
The German bridging engineers have had their numbers increased to prevent them being destroyed by Russian arty (a problem in the test games).
No other German units have been altered, but all the Russian (except Recon) units are fixed until 18.00 or they are released by being spotted, the quality of the Russian units is a mixture of C & D quality (modified OOB), we tried 100% D quality in testing, but the defence became too brittle to cope with the A quality German forces.

Map
The map has not been altered, but a 250 VP hex has been placed on the bridge carrying the Smolensk/Moscow road, a 100 VP hex has been added to Mogilev city and the two 25 VP hex’s are now worth 250 & 300 VP.
Also several riverside bunkers north and south of Mogilev have been downgraded to trenches.

Strategy
The German player must decided where he will cross, there is less marsh/swamp to the north of Mogliev, but that is were the Russian reinforcements arrive or the area to the south which the Russians will find difficult to reinforce, but the terrain is much more difficult for mobile troops or the direct assault on Mogilev and it’s vital bridges?
It was found during testing that to split the two German Div’s was not the best strategy, so once you have picked your crossing point, throw all available strength at that point of the line.
Note that the motorcycle troops do not have to go “on foot” to move through swamp/marsh hex’s and this makes them the most versatile troops on either side (especially in T mode).

The Russian player can only guess at where the Germans will cross, with most units fixed at the start (representing poor command control) you will have to wait for the scenario to develop, remember to use the rail capacity if you wish to move units south east. Reinforcements will arrive from the north and east map edges to bolster the defences and remember watch out for those motorcycle troops in T mode moving through swamp/marsh hex’s!

Rules
Dust spotting has been reduced to 20% (modified PDT) as German losses to this in test games were unacceptable.
The Smolensk title has no optional rules by default, but for this scenario the following should be used….
· Artillery Set Up, Recon Spotting, Optional Surrender, Quality Fatigue Modifier, Night Fatigue and Programmed Weather.

Conclusion
I hope this scenario provides a much-improved and fun scenario for H2H PBEM games.
02-02-2008, 02:22 PM,
RE: OSTKRIEG TOURNAMENT STARTUP
Hi Gary can you get me Chris Mace Email cant find it so I can send turn.
or have him give me his email so i can send turn out .

Thanks.
Dennis
02-02-2008, 08:08 PM,
tide1 Wrote:Axis side starts first. Please have a look at the web page for the scenario setup and other important info.

Tide1

Does this means that the games are not mirrored?

Rui
02-02-2008, 09:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM by Tide1.)
The scenarios are not mirrored Rui. Also for the new members I let the scenarios run 90 days before starting another unless everyone finishs before that.

Dennis I sent you an email :)

Tide1
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-02-2008, 10:46 PM,
Also Garry is using H2H approved versions of the stock scenarios, which (i hope) will mean the scenarios are well balanced! :)
02-03-2008, 01:53 AM,
First turn sent out
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM by Turner.)
Sorry for being a noob but, where do I extract the scenario files to? Because I put them in the game directory and the scenario doesn't show in the selection box.

Edit: Nevermind I found it.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
02-09-2008, 11:35 AM,
Comrad Generals

I decided I didn't like the measly 10 points for a Major Defeat so I raised it to 15 points ;) Not much of a lift but you never can tell :cool:

Tide1
02-10-2008, 03:09 AM,
Gary, i was not able to get my latest turn to you this morning. Your mail system kept sending it backwards all the time. Please provide new directions.

regards

Arthur