• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can you and if not can HPS look at changing it?
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM,
Can you and if not can HPS look at changing it?
Can you

1 Change the recon value of recon units either mine are rubbish or the value is too low?

2 Change the speed at which engineers lay mines (or rather the % chance) I have never laid a mine but have often tried.

These point arise more for the MC games as I think the engine may use the PC values and I would have thought (but I am no expert) that the recon ability of units had increased due to modern aids and also engineers have toys to lay mines quicker.

I looked in the PDT but I could not see anything.

Also just thought does the recon value % thingy change ie reduce at night if so should it in Modern as I would expect that they would have TI night goggles etc?

Mike
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2008, 12:51 AM,
RE: Can you and if not can HPS look at changing it?
I've been away from the game for awhile, so maybe this has been changed, but it always seemed to me that it took waayyyy too long to clear rubble.

Maybe it's just me.
01-13-2008, 12:59 AM,
I've noticed that as well. In city tiles rubble should be very time consuming, considering collapsed buildings and the brick rubble piled up in the streets. Should be different out in the countryside where houses were mainly made of wood.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
01-13-2008, 01:28 AM,
Hi All

As we are putting together our 2008 wish-list (again!!) - I'd like to see us have the ability to REMOVE entrenchments from the map (both Trenches and IP's)

Now....why? I hear you ask !! ......because you can't lay/place a minefield in a hex with an entrenchment - and with the ability to deliver arty mines in MC games, many a time I have wished I had'nt :censored: built that trench to protect that bridge, and realised that an arty delivered mine was a better solution - particularly when the bridge in question goes into a rubbled city/town/village !

Cheers

Chris
01-13-2008, 07:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
Counter points and answers:

1) Unit VP level is automatically calculated based on the values assigned the unit - so if you make the units stronger on attack and defense, you will see the value goes up. Increase there unit quality and the values goes up even further.

2) Speed of Engineers laying mine - from the manual:
> "The probability that the minefield will be created in the hex based on a single Engineer unit is half the Digging-In Parameter Data value. However, when an Engineer unit has less than 100 men, the probability is reduced proportionally."

3) The Probablity of Rubble being cleared - agian from the manual:
> "The probability that the rubble will be cleared in the hex is half the Digging-In Parameter Data value per turn."

As I've said before on other topics, this is a game with Black and White things to control what is in reality grey areas. So Rubble as used for less than CITY hexes have to be the same for Modern towns covering several hexes and small Sicilian villages made of stone, all the way down to stone houses in Norman Villages to light wood huts in Russia. Also note that ANY ENg can clear Mines, not just special ENgs which you all imagine come with any Eng unit. So a AB Eng from the 82nd Airborne in Normandy can clear Rubble with their BARE HANDS the same way as an Eng unit in FG85.

...it's just how it works - and yes it is suppose to be time consuming.

4) Hadge - sorry - I've been around this Mines and FORTS issue a few times now and each idea to change this results in yet a new set of odd ball continious for the 18 or so PzC Titles where there are no arty mines.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-13-2008, 09:07 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:3) The Probablity of Rubble being cleared - agian from the manual:
> "The probability that the rubble will be cleared in the hex is half the Digging-In Parameter Data value per turn."

I know it has been up before and what the manual says, but I doubt this to be true. In several years of playing I have never successfully cleared rubble or seen or heard of anyone else doing it.

Are there any players who can verify that the manual is correct or who feel like me, that rubble is easily achieved and then permanent?
01-13-2008, 10:49 PM,
In a Stalingrad CG i had a Eng unit clear rubble in 7 moves, while another unit was still clearing another hex 40 turns later, so it does work now and then. :chin:
01-13-2008, 11:32 PM,
I have seen units clear rubble, but it sometimes takes DAYS.
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM,
I do think different values for laying mines and clearing rubble would help. Allied planning times included rubble clearing ok they were often out but it was not by the sort of time scales we see in Pz Camp
01-15-2008, 12:42 AM,
Engelbrekt Wrote:Are there any players who can verify that the manual is correct or who feel like me, that rubble is easily achieved and then permanent?

You will never completely clear RUBBLE but will go from RUBBLE status to rubble status
Send this user an email