• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Market-Garden Pontoon Bridges
01-12-2008, 04:49 AM,
Market-Garden Pontoon Bridges
While I was playing the Allies in a Market Garden campaign game, I had both bridges over the Waal at Nijmegen blown up (taking a considerable number of troops down, unlucky me).

Anyway, after I managed to get an engineer into a suitable position to begin a bridge over the Waal, I always had an error message.
Looking to the PDT value, Allied pontoon value was zero, and Axis 15. I managed to build a bridge playing the Axis in a test game, but I would expect it were the allies who had the resources to build such a thing.
Is this intended?

Rui
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2008, 05:35 AM,
RE: Market-Garden Pontoon Bridges
I could be wrong but if i remember correctly the allies did build a pontoon bridge during Market Garden.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
01-12-2008, 12:25 PM,
Not only can the allied build pontoon bridges in many cases if all wired bridges are blown up they MUST BUILD THEM. Only Bridge Engineers can build Bridges not your standard Enginner and this may be your problem.

Pontoon Bridge Building is often vital and your Bridge Engineers need to be looked after Crossing the middle Rhine by a pontoon Bridge if all other means are unavailable takes some doing versus a compent German

Hope this helps
Barbarrossa
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM,
Guys:

In the stock game and scn there is two PDTs - one with and one without the Allied ability to create a pontoon Bridge. Both sides can always build HEXSIDE Bridges.

Also - in any Scn where the WAAL Bridges are wired, there PDT on those scn will allow it.

While the allies may have built "pontoon" Bridges during the Campaign the term "Pontoon Bridge" in the game means FULL WATER Bridge and and and I recall the Allies were lucky to have the Canvas Boats to ford the river and even these were well to the rear.

The WAAL is a wide and fast river - not something the allies were prepared to bridge during the scopy of the game - of course you are welcome to adjust the game parameters and scns for your own mod, but the stock games should be fairly accurate we feel.

Note - to look for the Allied PDT with Full water PONTOON Bridge ability - compare the CG Scn _01 and _02 - one has it and the other doesn't.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-12-2008, 09:36 PM,
Thanks for the answers. By "Pontoon Bridges" I was trying to use the manual terminology, which refers as such to one-hex bridges, as the Waal is a full hex river.

So it seems the Waal can't be bridged by the allies. Better luck next time...

Rui
01-13-2008, 12:28 AM,
I feel your pain, it has happened to me several times as well (both bridges at Nijmegen being destroyed). It happens strangely often considering that the chance is just 4 % of both bridges blowing up.
01-13-2008, 01:02 AM,
Mmm... when I played VM's Pole option CG a couple yrs ago the Allies built a pontoon across the Waal. Yet when I check the ALT PDT now it says 0. Did something change?
01-13-2008, 03:29 AM,
Aetius Wrote:So it seems the Waal can't be bridged by the allies. Better luck next time...

Not so - there are two PDTs that come with MG44. Some scn use one and some the other.

In one of the two PDTs the value is set to allow full water bridges to be built.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-13-2008, 06:21 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Not so - there are two PDTs that come with MG44. Some scn use one and some the other.

In one of the two PDTs the value is set to allow full water bridges to be built.

Glenn

I only see one PDT file. Checked both my CD and the game folder. :conf:
01-13-2008, 12:43 PM,
Engelbrekt Wrote:I only see one PDT file. Checked both my CD and the game folder. :conf:

Jeez - dunno what to say.

I just checked my CD and there are two on it - both with the same size and date. Neither has been changed with any of the updates so they are both dated 06/07/2003.

Glenn
Send this user an email