• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can't access help in "Soviet-Afghan War"
01-11-2008, 05:18 AM,
Can't access help in "Soviet-Afghan War"
I just received and installed Soviet-Afghan War.

My attempts to access General Help (F1), Parameter Data (F2), and so on open an Adobe Reader window in which the statement "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found".

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks much.

I am playing the introductory scenario, and it is a lot of fun. Another great HPS game - yeah!
Operation Edelweiss begins! Pontoon bridges across the Don at Rostov.
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2008, 06:33 AM,
RE: Can't access help in "Soviet-Afghan War"
I just checked and all of them work fine. Anyone experienced this before?
01-11-2008, 07:20 AM,
What version of Adobe is installed on your pc? I have 7.0 & all the .pdf docs open fine.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
01-14-2008, 11:36 PM,
Hi Jack,

The Following is from the HPS company site:

"HELP" FILE DISPLAY:
Microsoft has dropped support for the Windows Help file format (.hlp) with the release of Vista. However, they have released a Vista-compatible download that should allow users to access .hlp files (help32.exe).

( if you go to the HPS site there is a link in this space that directs to a microsoft download that should solve your problem.)

If the download doesn't work, please follow these steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to your \Windows folder, and locate the existing winhlp32.exe file (it's 9,216 bytes)

2. Right-click the 9,216-byte winhlp32.exe file, select Properties, and then choose the Security tab

3. Click Advanced, choose the Owner tab, and click Edit

4. Select your user name in the list, and then click OK four times to close all the Properties/Security windows

5. Right-click the 9,216-byte winhlp32.exe file again, select Properties, and then choose the Security tab again

6. Click Edit, highlight Administrators in the list, and then place a checkmark next to Full control, in the Allow column

7. Click Yes, and then click OK in each of the two open Properties/Security windows

8. Next, obtain the Windows XP SP2 version of winhlp32.exe. It's size is 283,648 bytes, and the version number is 5.1.2600.2180. You can get it from any functional PC running Windows XP or from a Windows XP disc

9. Drag-drop the 283,648-byte winhlp32.exe file into your \Windows folder, replacing the 9,216-byte version that's there.

All the best,

John