• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Error reading file!
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM,
Error reading file!
Just started a new PBEM game. My opponent sent me his .bte file and when I tried opening it, I got the dreaded "Error opening file" message. I had him try zipping it in case it got corrupted on the way here, and the same thing happened! Any ideas??
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM,
RE: Error reading file!
You both have the same version ?
01-05-2008, 12:56 PM,
I think so. Nik, have you patched?

Also, Nik is using Vista. Any problems with the save game routines via VIsta? I have XP. He told me his game crashes during or after the save game routine.
01-05-2008, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM by Kuriltai.)
What title are we discussing? Can't help with Vista or XP as I am still in the Stone Age ! (W98)

Reading down a little further...I see you have a Stalingrad game...must be a Vista issue judging from the other thread.
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM,
HAHA!!!! Stalingrad. He just said he patched to 1.01. Probly somethin simple we aren't thinking of.
01-05-2008, 01:12 PM,
W98, are you kidding?! Eek

So the latest version is 1.01, got it patched.

Found what the problem was, hadn't read anywhere that the game needs to be switched to PBEM mode. I'm certain that was our problem because now I've successfully loaded your file and playing the first turn.

:)
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
01-05-2008, 02:24 PM,
OK...looks like we gotta game!!!
01-05-2008, 02:40 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Error reading file!
Jim... you have a hole in your line. Oooops! Big Grin
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
01-05-2008, 02:47 PM,
For the record - the Game file formats are at times dependant upon version of the game. As new features are added often this creates a change in the PDT. THus the PDT version goes up to a new level and the older game does not understand how to handle the new PDT - ergo error reading file.

Another common cause is the file not closed so the other password is required to open the file - that isn't valid here as it is the first game turn.

Also - there is no file format difference due to the operating system, so VISTA and any previous vers on the game support will run and read the same files as long as the game versions are a match.

Note too - not all the games are patched to Vista so if you encounter a problem, a crash when playing a title, ensure you have the newest patch. Check the changes.txt file and it should say:

> " - Fixes for Vista compatiblity."

If it is an older title and it doesn't say this in the changes file, contact HPS Tech Support and we'll deal with it in an as needed order and basis. We simply can't patch and test everything at once so we do them as required.

Thanks Guys.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-05-2008, 11:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2008, 11:37 PM by Turner.)
Glenn, the only problem I seem to have in Stalingrad now (nevermind the russians Big Grin) is that when scrolling the map goes white. Hey It's not a snow storm. :P Map goes completely blank as if there's a memory problem with handling the gfx data. Clicking anywhere on the map will have it reappear but it's extremely annoying not to be able to view while scrolling. I don't get why this is occurring on a machine with 4 GB PC6400 on 800 MHz and GF8800 GTS with 640 MB!

There's a fix to this. In the properties of the .lnk file for 'Main Program' under the compatibility tab, check 'Inactivate Desktopcomposition' (guessing the english name since I have a Swedish version). This seem to force the desktop into 16-bit mode before launching the game, disabling the Aero interface. Aero is nice but it's not like you're missing out when playing PzC in 16-bit. :)

Hope that helps, maybe there's a easy fix for it? I've not seen this problem in the other titles, but it could be because I've not had time to play most of them them, yet. :)

On another note, 'Defense of the Reich' is completely unplayable on Vista. Is there a way around it?