• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Jobu88 vs RNLTiger ( Tiger - no peeking!)
12-22-2007, 07:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2007, 06:29 AM by Jobu88.)
Jobu88 vs RNLTiger ( Tiger - no peeking!)
A 2000 point ME in Russia Aug 1944 on a medium map. I prefer a small map, but in this case it worked out OK as there are only 2 flags, widely separated. I was expecting / hoping for a little heavier tree coverage and I went with one company of Veteran SS infantry, no artillery, 2 PZ IV H, and 2 StuH42 with the lovely 105mm man-killer for support. I also purchased 2 sharpshooters, three Panzerschreks, and three tank hunters. Finally, a platoon of engineers with flamethrowers for the dirty close-in work.

The map: with the flags widely separated and only 2000 points of gear, I am going to try something different. I will go all-out for the flag on my left, send one platoon of infantry to make noise and keep the Russians busy over by the flag on the right but otherwise concede that flag to the Russians, and hope to win the point battle by killing some Russian tanks with my veteran Pz IVs.

[Image: Map.png]

Initial orders: the Pz IVs are carrying two MG-42 HMGs, a sharpshooter, and a spare HQ. The MGs will
set up in a good spot to cover the approaches to the flag, while the sharpshooter will go off and do
whatever it is that sharpshooters do when no one's looking.

[Image: PlanA.png]

One lonely platoon marches dejectedly towards the other flag, they know that they may get killed or they may die
of boredom, but they won't get any Iron Crosses for this battle. They're a distraction force only.

[Image: PlanB.png]
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2007, 07:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2007, 09:10 AM by Jobu88.)
RE: Jobu88 vs RNLTiger ( Tiger - no peeking!)
After a couple turns of marching, most of my boys are just about to their final approach positions and will begin closing on the flag.
Some Russian infantry has already been spotted and sprayed by my PZ IVs, frankly that makes me happy ( several Russian squads
hit the deck and crawled back from whence they came) and unhappy ( Tiger now knows where my armor is).

My sniper hears some infantry sounds in the woods but sees nobody. Assuming it's just another sniper, he extends professional
courtesy and does not bother to look further. A decision that he will have to answer for later, as it turns out.....

[Image: Turn4.png]

12-22-2007, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM by Jobu88.)
This will be Prosecution Evidence Item # 1 when my sniper gets court-martialled.....enemy sniper allowed to get a shot
on my Panzer commanders & he didn't do anything to stop it.....

Fortunately only one commander hit, the other one just buttoned up and asked where the :censored: the German sniper
that was supposed to cover him had got to.

[Image: Panzeropen.png]

[Image: Panzershock.png]

12-22-2007, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM by Jobu88.)
Hoping to redeem himself and avoid a firing squad, my sharpshooter advances to a good overlook and
spots an enemy tank. SU-76 ?? He must have dirt in his eyes, I don't think Tiger would have
purchased an SU-76. Probably a T-34, maybe an SU-85?

[Image: Tankspotted.png]

At least I have an idea where he is & both my Pz Ivs have LOS to just outside the Russian's current cover.
If he tries to poke his nose out from behind the trees, I'll plant an AP round in his ugly mug.

[Image: tankspotted02.png]

12-22-2007, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2007, 09:12 AM by Jobu88.)
My diversion platoon has made contact. Their task will be to remain alive and pester the Russians. I don't want Tiger
re-positioning anybody away from this flag back towards the other flag.

[Image: contact.png]

12-22-2007, 09:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2007, 10:43 AM by Jobu88.)
Turn 8 now & not much movement after Tigers' early infantry rush toward the left flag. I have my other sharpshooter
and two tank hunter teams moving forward to contact, everybody else is sitting and looking down their rifle barrels,
waiting for the Russians to show themselves.

I wasn't sure if my StuH42 could squeeze through this little gap in the woods, but he made it with no problems.
I'm always surprised when they get through a little tiny gap like that.

[Image: Stugmovesup01.png]

[Image: Stugmovesup02.png]

12-22-2007, 10:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2007, 12:34 AM by Jobu88.)
Oof. Eek My "diversion" platoon has really stepped in it. They will withdraw out of LOS due to pure
survival necessity.

[Image: withdraw.png]

On the left, it appears that we are both waiting to see what develops. So, I will advance one platoon to try
and develop something. :cool: They will advance through the platoon providing covering fire.

[Image: advance.png]

Elsewhere, I will continue to advance a few scouts around to the right, but otherwise employ patience
and see what Tiger wants to do next.

[Image: caution.png]

12-23-2007, 12:45 AM,
Now it's personal..... that SOB is officially a pain in my :censored: and we are out to get him.....

[Image: wantedposter.jpg]

12-23-2007, 01:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2007, 03:53 AM by Jobu88.)
Tiger indicates that he's not fooling around. My diversion platoon will have to run for their lives if they want to survive.
I need them to survive to keep the Russians busy around this flag.

[Image: diversionpursued.png]

On my left, another turn of patient & minor maneuvering. I move up part of one platoon towards the pine forest,
they take some fire but make it OK. My covering MG-42s immediately surpress the Russians firing at my boys.
My sniper on the left and my scouts on the right will continue working their way into the Russian rear.

[Image: turn10.png]

12-23-2007, 04:04 AM,
Ach Himmel !! My anti-tank experts scouting ahead on the right turn out to be in exactly the right place at the right time !!

Initial positions:

[Image: armorambush.png]

Moving up, they hear a deep roar of diesel engines and tank tracks coming nearer!!

[Image: armorambush02.png]

They reach their destinations just in the nick of time as three Russian beasts hove into view. One of my
Panzerschreks goes for the record with a long-range shot that misses by a mile:

[Image: armorambush03.png]

There is some brief mayhem as the T-34's begin spraying MG fire wildly, all the Panzerschreks get off
at least one shot, one of which hits.
It does not immediately kill the T-34 however, so I will have to target it again until I know it's dead.

[Image: armorambush04.png]

At the start of the next turn I have an anti-tank expert's dream in front of me: 3 stationary
targets, all well within effective range of my Panzerschreks. And
my boys are all on their third shot, which should improve their
chances of getting a hit.

Please God let me get off some shots before the T-34s can pin my shooters.

[Image: armorambush05.png]