• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Matrix spotting issue
12-06-2007, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2007, 03:13 AM by Major BS.)
Matrix spotting issue
Hello all,

I'm currently engaged in battle in the WF scenario Massicault as the Allies. I'm using Matrix CS with 1.02b patch.

As Axis units approach some of my Free French Combat units, the FF units act as transport units. That is, they do not "see" the Axis units as anything more than question marks. They cannot fire at the Axis units. Needless to say, this circumstance is eroding my ability to mount an adequate defense. Strangely enough, my US forces do not have this problem.

A: Has anyone else had this problem?
B: Is it scenario related or Matrix CS related?
C: Has anyone fixed this problem?
D: If so, how?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Major BS
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2007, 05:01 AM,
RE: Matrix spotting issue
I'm not sure if I've discovered a spotting issue or not. While playing Matrix WF - Kapelsche Veer as the Axis. I must cross a river in rubber rafts to reinforce my hexes. However, during the first three turns, indirect fire (unspotted by any of the enemy transports or otherwise) wiped out a 6 unit strength platoon with a single hit four separate times. :hissy: While I realize river crossings make units highly vulnerable, the fact that all units were eliminated made me and my opponent wonder. Was it a horrible dice roll or a spotting issue?
12-06-2007, 05:10 AM,
Fubar1 Wrote:I'm not sure if I've discovered a spotting issue or not. While playing Matrix WF - Kapelsche Veer as the Axis. I must cross a river in rubber rafts to reinforce my hexes. However, during the first three turns, indirect fire (unspotted by any of the enemy transports or otherwise) wiped out a 6 unit strength platoon with a single hit four separate times. :hissy: While I realize river crossings make units highly vulnerable, the fact that all units were eliminated made me and my opponent wonder. Was it a horrible dice roll or a spotting issue?

This scenario is currently undergoing a major revision... but that won't help you for now. (The raft casualties look like lucky hits to me, I haven't experienced such losses on the river... the real Germans did actually, poor lads).
12-06-2007, 06:13 AM,
Fubar1 and I both wondered if this was possibly a Matrix problem with indirect arty fire, but having said that this is the only scenario that we had seen results like this. I have no explanation other than some extremely lucky indirect arty die rolls. :conf:

Gavin
Send this user an email
12-06-2007, 06:29 AM,
I think an arty hit on rafts in water always, or nearly always destroys all units. As the crossing sites are not likely to be in LOS, there is still some luck involved for the arty landing on the hexes with the rafts and knowing when the Germans are actually on the river.
I'm cutting on the amount of Allied artillery in that scenario, even if this large amount was historical, the Germans had tunneled the river dikes so extensively that, apart from the crossings, they hardly suffered any casualties from Allied artillery fire.
12-06-2007, 07:03 AM,
Major BS Wrote:Hello all,

I'm currently engaged in battle in the WF scenario Massicault as the Allies. I'm using Matrix CS with 1.02b patch.

As Axis units approach some of my Free French Combat units, the FF units act as transport units. That is, they do not "see" the Axis units as anything more than question marks. They cannot fire at the Axis units. Needless to say, this circumstance is eroding my ability to mount an adequate defense. Strangely enough, my US forces do not have this problem.

A: Has anyone else had this problem?
B: Is it scenario related or Matrix CS related?
C: Has anyone fixed this problem?
D: If so, how?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I'm going to run thru this scen and see if I can duplicate
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
12-06-2007, 07:05 AM,
I've been OOA for 6 months, but coming back slowly. Rubber rafts and arty....hardly anything more vulnerable. IMO, the carnage here is a good representation of reality..

Cheers
KKR
12-06-2007, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM by Major BS.)
Thanks RedDev!

I was beginning to think that my question had been drowned out by the artillery of Kapelsche Veer... ;)
Major BS
12-06-2007, 07:29 AM,
Sorry Major. I thought I might be giving further evidence. I'm not bitter about my result ansd as KKR said my guys were literally "Sitting ducks" "sitzung enten"
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM,
No apology necessary Fubar1, we're all aiming at the same target here! Just a little funnin' around the message boards! Big Grin
Major BS