• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Burning Tank Blocks LOS
11-23-2007, 09:42 AM,
Burning Tank Blocks LOS
I may be one of the few who didn't know this but for anyone else who does not know - a burning tank blocks LOS

I had arranged for my tanks to ride into the town on the road and one of them got knocked out as my opponent had the same idea. My tanks in front became outnumbered and so vulnerable and my tanks behind became excluded from the fight:

[Image: BurningTankSmokeBlocksLOS.jpg]

Something to be aware of on those rare occasions that it might matter...
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2007, 09:58 AM,
RE: Burning Tank Blocks LOS
It often matters. A class opponent will deliberately target the second tank in the line (or whatever number suits) in the hope that smoke will help produce a "many on one" situation.....or alternately when they have the advantage they'll work from back to front so as not to block off their own shooting. Just a minor thing, but it is one of the many small variables that can work to your advantage.
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM,
CMAK BURNERS SOMETMES DON'T BLOCK LOS

Although burners seem to always block LOS in cmbb, the same doesn't always hold true for cmak,so be prepared and expect the unexpected..
I found that out by accident during a cmak game, and this test confirms it.
I've combined 4 screenshots into one, see how the panzer on right has 3 LOS's, one either side of the burner and one smack through the middle of it (although at reduced accuracy as evidenced by the dim blue of the line).
However the panzer on the left can't see through the burner!
It's another example of how cmak seems sometimes to have unpredictable programming code differences all its own..

[Image: bloc1.png]
11-23-2007, 12:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2007, 12:44 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
That was me v RNL in the thread starter pic, this is my panzer group at the other end of the long road, I deployed them in 2 line astern columns so that if one panzer burnt, its smoke wouldn't block the LOS of the other column.
(For the record I had 10x PzIVH's and a Hetzer here, and RNL had 6x T-34/85's and 2x Stalins at the far end of the road.
When the shooting stopped I'd lost 3x IV's and he'd lost 3x T-34's, about what you'd expect because a proportion of my shots were ricoing off the T-34 front hulls at that longish range.
One T-34 caught fire, I never planned it but lucky for me its oily smoke blocked the LOS of the 2x Stalins at the rear of his column)
PS none of mine burnt

[Image: lineastern.jpg]