• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Veteran's Day
11-12-2007, 01:59 AM,
Veteran's Day
I'm sitting watching the ceremony at Arlington and I realized that I had not posted yet.

To all those who serve, and have served, in the armed forces, I wanted to say thanks and give you the honors you deserve.
It's an emotionally moving event to watch the wreath being placed at the tomb of the Unkown Soldier.

I'd like to extend that respect to all those who serve their countries, through their armed forces.
You all keep us civilians safe. Thanks for doing your duty. It is much appreciated.

Warm Regards to all,

Ed
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2007, 01:08 PM,
RE: Veteran's Day
On a related note, I had the opportunity last night (Tuesday) to spend about three hours with (ret) Colonel Jimmie Leach and his wife, Marion. As those who have read "Patton's Vanguard" (or other 4th AD related works) will recall, Colonel (then Captain) Leach was a pivotal player in the 37th Tank Battalion; started the campaign in NW Europe as a platoon leader, and soon promote to CO of B Company after the original platoon leader became a casualty. He figured prominently at such places as Avranches, Arracourt, Singling, Bigonville, and during the breakthrough to Bastogne. Anyone who collects scale model WWII vehicles may be familiar with the two releases that Corgi has issued of his command tanks, Blockbuster and Blockbuster 3rd.

Jimmie recounted for me once again detals of the old battles, but we talked much more on this occasion about the many comrades he has lost during more recent years. As best he knows, he is the only remaining officer of Abe Abrams' 37th, and the number of surviving enlisted men from the battalion is dwindling fast.

Those of you who have read and enjoyed the book "Raid" may be interested to know that Abe Baum still lives and resides out on the west coast, near San Diego. I haven't spoke to him in sometime, but Jimmie has just spoken with him last week. If ever there was a war movie in need of being made, it is the story of the Hammelburg raid.

Al Irzyk, CO of the 8th Tank Battalion, is still in good health and living in South Florida (I believe he is 90 now). I am way overdue to visit with him.

Unfortunately, General Ed Bautz, then the EO of the 37th, passed away in early October. He was perhaps as close to Creighton Abrams as anyone.
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM,
RE: Veteran's Day
...pease, love and bread (bed)...

cheers
Curt
Town Drunk