• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Do you use scout cards in ME's?
10-10-2007, 12:40 PM,
Do you use scout cards in ME's?
I for on had not used them, but after a good rogering by a blitz vet, I am firmly in the scout car camp. DK's post on ME's got me thinking.

Unfortunately, CMBB late war Soviets have crappy scout cars, and so do the Germans, so you really are only using them to locate and disrupt any enemy fast movement to the flags in light skinned or unarmored vehicles.

In CMAK, perhaps the most unutilized potential units are the loads and loads of diverse scout cars available. Although the greyhound is an all around fave, I like to use Canadian 37mm Staghounds, as their armor is far more effective at stopping light AP and up close and personal with a StuG, the Staghound can often come up on the side of victory, as the 37mm gun penetrates the sides of the German assualt guns quite easily.

Nevertheless, one AC racing ahead of your main force is probably a pretty good risk reward purchase, potentially derailing kubelwagon/jeep charges or just plain locating the enemy and holding him up for one turn while you move into position.

Whaddya think?

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM,
RE: Do you use scout cards in ME's?
Greyhounds are pretty good, yeah I like those.

The Staghounds come in 75mm versions which are pretty good too.....although getting pricey.

I can't remember playing CM, it's been so long, so can't think whether I ever bought any. I have a vague recollection of buying the odd PSW 222 platoon, and they did fine.
10-10-2007, 10:46 PM,
I like using Greyhounds in all battles, their only drawbacks are the open top and the vulnerability to MG42 fire at close ranges. Stags are great, but limited ammo in the 75mm versions. If I'm playing Brits, I buy the 37mm Stags all the time.

There is a German PSW/222 late war version that shoots 20mm tungsten only and can knock out Allied armor, but it's a SLOW ass shooter and dies more often than it kills. It's great for sneaky flank shots while the intended target's attention is distracted on another target tho.

The regular German Recons with those FAST firing 20mms are good enough to knock guns out on enemy armor and pinning/shredding troops who dare cross open ground in their LOS.

Soviet recons suck when engaging German recons, but they can pin down a large amount of troops with their large ammo loads. The quick firing 45's (if vet or better skilled) are great for taking out ATGs when used in groups/packs. Just keep them away from anything with wheels/tracks.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-11-2007, 06:36 AM,
You might be thinking of the Germ 28mm squeeze bore gun when you mention the tungsten only one?
10-11-2007, 07:40 AM,
That may be, but it lists as a 20mm and only if you view the unit in the editor will you notice the tungsten only ammo.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-11-2007, 08:18 AM,
BTW, those Staghounds are an excellent pick... the 37mm gun can punch a round through the turret of a panzer IV quite well... I know that because it just happened to me!

: )

I choose them over the greyhound almost every time, as the potential for losing the open topped greyhounds to an indirect HE shell, mortar fire, or arty is just too high IMHO... same as with M10's... I have a love hate relationship with them.

Cheers!

Leto
10-11-2007, 08:21 AM,
RD, you must be right. I've just never heard of it before.
10-11-2007, 10:22 AM,
yeh, I like the Stags better myself when I play the Tommies, but do try to keep my picks of the same nationality when I play the yanks, unless I know I'm going to be facing Tigers or Jagds.. (by opp's traits) then I splurge on a Brit 17lber and blast his ass :P

Ivan, it's an odd one for sure, I had never noticed it prior, until I was wasting a day browsing the editor and had picked 1 of every unit available and was checking each one out individually... Believe me there's some real hidden gems out there in some certain time frames :)
10-13-2007, 11:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2007, 11:27 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
HUMBER SCOUT CARS (1x MG)
[Image: cars.png]
10-14-2007, 01:20 AM,
Jeeps are nice and cheap, but dont tend to survive contact with the enemy !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West