• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

B44 across the Meuse?
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM,
B44 across the Meuse?
I notice that in the scenarios under G-4 Supply the B44 campaign games show some Axis victories. In those victories using "historical" scenarios, has any Axis side ever crossed the Meuse?
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2007, 04:19 AM,
RE: B44 across the Meuse?
I cannot answer your question about the Meuse, but refering to the scenario stats (for CG's) many of these are claimed as victories when opponents cannot finish the game, so what you are looking at may not be completed games IMO, the stats for smaller scenarios will not be as affected by this as much.
09-08-2007, 06:30 AM,
Yes, Foul, three of my Allied opponents conceded early in my German victories. They failed their personal morale checks when my panzers broke out across the map ... which I do believe could easily have reached and crossed the Meuse.

That said, in my current game, my opponent (Hi Dan!) didn't give up as others did despite my attack being just as successful. I got to the Meuse and even captured Namur. However, instead of pressing on, I pulled back, blew bridges, and awaited the US airborne counterattack. Granted, that strategy certainly wasn't in line with the German historical plan, but I don't think the game makes it worthwhile for the German to cross and exit toward Antwerp ... especially since I did not have the 10 SS or 11 Pz reserves.

I also recall Sgt. Fury(?) pushing Esher back to the Meuse River in one CG game, too. So I know it's possible.

-Bob
09-08-2007, 07:53 AM,
Which version us this? The classic, original? If so, I want a crack at the Axis commander who can cross my Meuse...:)

Marquo
09-08-2007, 08:11 AM,
Marquo Wrote:Which version us this? The classic, original? If so, I want a crack at the Axis commander who can cross my Meuse...:)

Marquo

Marquo, if you're asking me....

My 3 victories were with the stock CG, VM alt, and Dark Winter, but I never actually crossed the River because the Allies conceded. I do believe the way was open.

Right now I am embroiled in VM alt CG and did cross the River in three spots (Dinant, Namur, & Huy), but like I said I pulled back because I knew I wasn't strong enough w/o the extra forces. I don't know if I'll win or not.

And I cannot say which version Esher and Fury were playing.

-Bob
09-08-2007, 01:25 PM,
"My 3 victories were with the stock CG, VM alt, and Dark Winter,"

Wow! Somebody played Dark Winter! How did it go with the 4 night turns??? How did you like the dispositions? Thanks for giving it a try. von ege. :smoke:
09-08-2007, 09:36 PM,
Prinz von Egan Wrote:"My 3 victories were with the stock CG, VM alt, and Dark Winter,"

Wow! Somebody played Dark Winter! How did it go with the 4 night turns??? How did you like the dispositions? Thanks for giving it a try. von ege. :smoke:

I liked it. As the Germans I liked not having to face the Allied airpower as much. Fatigue buildup wasn't an issue if I rested one night turn. Dispositions? I don't recall anything that bugged me; I think it was pretty close to my own version except I use dawn and dusk turns. Remember, of course, that we didn't finish the CG.
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM,
Ege,
We'll have to do an update to Dark Winter someday. Unfortunately, I let slip a mistaken TOE for the U.S. heavy armored divisions. I considered a more detailed oob, including MG and mortar units, etc but we decided on less units. I wonder which the the players prefer, five or six units per inf bn, or just three companies, and how the difference affects game play.
Interesting to hear that if the US player holds the shoulders and has sang froid, he's got a chance even if the Germans cross the Meuse.
...still tidying up the battlefield (in better than Monty fashion) at Waterloo.
09-08-2007, 11:45 PM,
Rev Rico Wrote:
Prinz von Egan Wrote:"My 3 victories were with the stock CG, VM alt, and Dark Winter,"

I liked it. As the Germans I liked not having to face the Allied airpower as much. Fatigue buildup wasn't an issue if I rested one night turn. Dispositions? I don't recall anything that bugged me; I think it was pretty close to my own version except I use dawn and dusk turns. Remember, of course, that we didn't finish the CG.

I was his opponent for this game so I wouldn't hold much stock by the results as I'm not very good so it probably wasn't a real good test.
09-09-2007, 11:22 AM,
RangerBooBoo Wrote:I was his opponent for this game so I wouldn't hold much stock by the results as I'm not very good so it probably wasn't a real good test.

Ah Mark, your self-deprecation is unwarranted. You just quit too early. Remember I had similar success against others. A carefully planned offensive can gain lots of ground; it's just holding that ground is difficult once the Allies are reinforced.