• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Axis supply in African Campaign 1942
09-02-2007, 12:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2007, 12:17 AM by cillmhor.)
Axis supply in African Campaign 1942
Okay so I have finally got round to playing TOW and after a few smaller scenarios and trying to get to grips with the game against the AI, I tried a bigger campaign in the WWII desert, my favourite arena since Vulcan the Tunisian Campaign and Desert Rats on the ZX Spectrum in the 1980s.

I just wondered how more experienced players would advise on the Axis supply problem once the Alamein line has been reached and the Malta suppy issue kicks in? I'm on turn 40 (early October 1942) and so it is probably too late anyway, but anyone else's experience on this one would be welcome. I made fairly quick work of Tobruk and all points east, I thought, on my way to El Alamein and got my troops there by around turn 20. I then waited for scheduled reinforcements and troops to regain supply and readiness etc before launching my first attacks. But then the supply shortages kicked in and my panzers were sitting without hope of receiving more fuel.

I now sit awaiting the Allied attack and am hanging on to a marginal victory. Is bypassing Tobruk with some panzer divisions the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice and I look forward to hopefully trying a PBEM or two with some of you in the future when I have had more XP against the AI.

Cheers

Cillmhor
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2007, 12:41 AM,
RE: Axis supply in African Campaign 1942
cillmhor Wrote:Okay so I have finally got round to playing TOW and after a few smaller scenarios and trying to get to grips with the game against the AI, I tried a bigger campaign in the WWII desert, my favourite arena since Vulcan the Tunisian Campaign and Desert Rats on the ZX Spectrum in the 1980s.

I just wondered how more experienced players would advise on the Axis supply problem once the Alamein line has been reached and the Malta suppy issue kicks in? I'm on turn 40 (early October 1942) and so it is probably too late anyway, but anyone else's experience on this one would be welcome. I made fairly quick work of Tobruk and all points east, I thought, on my way to El Alamein and got my troops there by around turn 20. I then waited for scheduled reinforcements and troops to regain supply and readiness etc before launching my first attacks. But then the supply shortages kicked in and my panzers were sitting without hope of receiving more fuel.

I now sit awaiting the Allied attack and am hanging on to a marginal victory. Is bypassing Tobruk with some panzer divisions the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice and I look forward to hopefully trying a PBEM or two with some of you in the future when I have had more XP against the AI.

Cheers

Cillmhor

What may be hurting you is the historical sinking of Axis tankers.

Also can your HQ units trace a direct line of supply to their supply hexes ?
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
09-02-2007, 01:14 AM,
Yes I got a warning that Axis supplies would drop, my effective supply capability is 34, down from 76 earlier in the campaign, and with extended supply lines from way, way back west my El Alamein troops have little 8s next to them when I highlight supply trace. This coupled with poor proficiency/readiness for many Italian formations and panzers across the board which appear to have little or no fuel - and I'm beginng to empathise with Rommel!

I guess I'll just have to try to attack and hope I can break them down with infantry. Although with such poor supply I cannot sustain any attack for long, and I run the risk of counter-attack. I'm almost tempted to sit on a marginal win and dig in.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Cillmhor

Attached Files
.jpg   Africa 42.JPG (Size: 249.38 KB / Downloads: 21)
09-02-2007, 07:27 PM,
Your troops seem in pretty good condition (mostly greens) to me (from the pic) I'd have a go, either punching through the single armour unit in the middle (little option) or round the sothern flank (big option) the proficiency on your units should give you an advantage.
Let us know how you get on and good luck.
09-02-2007, 07:59 PM,
Yes, things did look rosy on turn 40. It's the proficiency of most of my Italians that makes a concerted attack at best risky. Supply is pretty good among the infantry, but among the armour units supply is very low 30% or lower in most cases (I can only assume that historic fuel shortages is the answer). I make a couple of probing attacks in the areas you suggested, only to find FOW reveal a lot more units in support behind - a cunning allied AI ruse to get me to commit troops into the traps? Also Allied air power has more or less rendered the Luftwaffe a non-factor.

And so I dig in again in the hope of holding onto what I've got. Then comes the news that Monty has arrived and Allies are receiving floods of reinforcements. Next comes the Allied attack which sweeps my still recovering troops backwards. The Italians provide some resitance, but tactical withdrawal to line on Bab el Qattara and around Ghazal Station (see map) allowed me to hold on for a draw. The remains of the 21st Panzer Division (whose armour had almost no supply/fuel?) was pushed back with ease and left to leg it into the desert on 1% supply.

I enjoyed the game, but in hindsight I think I should have attacked the less prepared lines in and around turn 20-25 when my troops were admittedly ill-prepared, but I suspect the Allies were equally ill-prepared at that time. I also now think I should have sent troops beyond Tobruk a lot earlier and left some less mobile troops there to grind it down. It appeared to me that the 2 SA divisions I destroyed in Tobruk reappeared in Egypt at full strength!

Now I'm off to try The Last Stand in Africa (The Tunisian Campaign). I can provide a sort of ARR, with questions from me as a new player, if that is the sort of thing that would appeal to anyone? Where would I post an AAR on this board? The help would be very welcome, as I am still getting to grips with the game mechanics, despite having the manual!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Cillmhor
09-02-2007, 10:02 PM,
To post an AAR, go to G-2; AAR's.

Also, see my article on supply, under Articles, Strategy, TOAW.

In TOAW III, you can play with "high supply on" to help your supply situation a bit; but it does sound like your game played out historically.

But in terms of game mechanics, the supply article will help you. But the enemy's digging in often more than outweighs your coming up to full supply and readiness, especially where scenario supply levels are low generally.
09-02-2007, 11:29 PM,
Currahee Wrote:To post an AAR, go to G-2; AAR's.

Also, see my article on supply, under Articles, Strategy, TOAW.

In TOAW III, you can play with "high supply on" to help your supply situation a bit; but it does sound like your game played out historically.

But in terms of game mechanics, the supply article will help you. But the enemy's digging in often more than outweighs your coming up to full supply and readiness, especially where scenario supply levels are low generally.

Thanks for that, I'm off to read about supply. Boy do I need to figure out more about it, particularly how different issues affect it. For instance how far from the road network you are etc. As for the AAR section, I had a look but I notice you can only post 4 pics, shame if you are playing an 80+ turn campaign. I'm, taking pics as I go along and writing text, so I'll hopefully get something together as I go along, and I can always post my questions here if that is okay. Probably the best way to ask questions is to play a vet, which I hope to get round to soon.

I may try Africa 42 another time and see if a different strategy works in terms of reaching El Alamein sooner.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Cillmhor