• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Whitmann not top German tank destroyer
08-28-2007, 11:40 AM,
Whitmann not top German tank destroyer
For many years I was led to believe that Michael Whitmann was the leading scorer of enemy tanks destroyed but during the last year or so I have read many articles, books and historical pieces that have pointed out that there was another, less well known individual, that this feat belongs to. His name is Kurt Knispel, and though there is no exact number, most sources credit him with over 150 destroyed enemy tanks. Unfortunately he also did not survive the war, dying on April 29 1945, in action against Soviet units. He never received the highest German decorations proving that bravery was not the most important factor in winning the Knight's Cross. He was not in the Waffen SS and his highest rank was that of a Feldwebel or Sergeant.
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2007, 06:59 PM,
RE: Whitmann not top German tank destroyer
Wittmann may not have been the top statistically, but he was the best known mainly due to the action at Villiers Bocage.
08-29-2007, 06:52 AM,
RE: Whitmann not top German tank destroyer
Well done Oberst!
Kurt Knispel had 168 kills (according to Frank Kurowski's great book Panzer Aces) but the actual number may be closer to 195. He was great bloke but not popularwith the Nazis. If anyone is interested I can send his photo and a few details as to what he was like as a man.