• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS Naval Battles: Suggestion NA'86
08-15-2007, 11:25 AM,
HPS Naval Battles: Suggestion NA'86
I don't know how many of you played or even remembered SSI's North Atlantic '86, but that, along with Red Storm Rising, has to be the best computer naval warfare game of the last 25 years. It came out in 1984 and by the title you can gander that it is predicated upon a WP vs. NATO battle of the North Atlantic.

Granted, HPS NBs is more of a tactical game while NA'86 is operational, it wouldn't take much tweaking of the HPS engine to be able to re-fight one of the greatest naval battles of history (even if it didn't happen).

The struggles for Iceland and running supplies to England through tens of soviet submarines and hundreds of AS-6 missles was incredible.

So if the designers are reading this, I do hope you will consider this suggestion.

Hiroo

PS I realize Harpoon 3 is out, but that is a tactical engine and not as good as NA'86.
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2007, 06:00 AM,
RE: HPS Naval Battles: Suggestion NA'86
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but Jutland is the only HPS naval game that I have.
I would like the game in 3D using the ship models from the PZC games, altered to small, medium and large vessels with 1,2,3 or 4 funnels each.
The abstract air attacks from PZC could be introduced as well.
And maybe a hex grid.
Used to paint a lot of models and play about with boardgames but HPS games has allowed me for the first time to fight a scenario to a conclusion.
I cannot express in words my admiration for everbody at HPS games.
08-16-2007, 06:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2007, 06:09 AM by Volcano Man.)
I agree, there are two things that hurt the series: 1) lack of 3D models and 2) a feeling of a lack of control.

For #2 I always thought that the main armaments should require user firing unless an option is selected for total AI control.

As for #1, take a look at "Distant Guns". I think if HPS Naval Campaigns series had a decent 3D engine then it could certainly rival that game which has met some recent popularity and success. Moving around the colored parameciums in Naval Campaigns is only so fun... :(
Send this user an email
08-16-2007, 11:41 AM,
I (usually) am not a fan of naval games. But this thread reminds me of the old SPI game "CA." I had great fun with that one. I would think that any number of naval campaigns would be grist for the HPS mill.
08-16-2007, 10:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2007, 11:10 PM by Lowlander.)
The naval boardgames by Clash of Arms and Avalanche Press contain a wealth of information for new games and scenarios-HINT.
And yes I totally agree that the game engines are first class and so smooth even running large campaigns like Minsk'44 without a hitch.
Must admit I'm playing Matrix games War in the Pacific campaign using Andrew Browns CHS 157 Mod, terrific game highly recommended.
08-16-2007, 11:07 PM,
Ha!

CA from SPI was my first Wargame bought in 1976.

Moez
North Vancouver, BC
08-18-2007, 06:17 AM,
I've had Guadalcanal now for a month or so. Its a fun game but has some limitations. Replay of the scenarios is one.

I found a bunch of user scenario's I downloaded this week at the Naval Campaigns web site.

I think Guadalcanal is going to be a flash game. Lots of fun at first but once you go through all the sce's, it begins to loose its luster.

The game engine has so much potential. I wish HPS would do some upgrades to the one I have and Jutland and Tuschema (?? excuse the spelling) I think they could garner some more customers but i dont think its in the cards.

My recent interest and reading on the naval battles in the Solomons has made me buy another game (that hasn't arrived yet): Uncommon Valor. I heard this was a good game ... less micromanaging required than its big brother, War in the Pacific. I'm anxious to see how UV is.

my 2 pennies
08-22-2007, 04:41 AM,
Is the Naval Campaigns Club still alive? I would like to join the club, but the most recent post at the forum there was made in September 2006. Does anybody know?

Private Bombadil
08-23-2007, 01:41 PM,
If HPS bothered to make North Atlantic'86 version of the game they'd have a very active club.

WW2 had been done to death guys. Time to move on.
08-23-2007, 04:49 PM,
"If HPS bothered to make North Atlantic'86 version of the game they'd have a very active club. WW2 had been done to death guys. Time to move on."

Actually, the problem seems to be that not too much as been done with WWII naval games. HPS printed 3 titles and moved on. The only strategic Pacific war game is Grinsby's. North Atlantic fleet action is hypotheitical and everyone knows damn well the Warsaw Pact naval forces wouldn't have had a chance against the USN. The Imperial Japanese Navy, however, fought the USN to a stand-still for 3 years! That's why nobody will ever want to move on. The battle was an even fight until the USN overwhelmed the IJN by strength of numbers. Most of us are stil waiting for somebody to do it right. von ege cheers