• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Barbed Wire
08-09-2007, 06:59 AM,
Barbed Wire
After prolonged searching, I shall simpy ask. How does one cut/remove/breach barbed wire?
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2007, 07:04 AM,
RE: Barbed Wire
I dont know of a way
08-09-2007, 07:10 AM,
Yeah, there is no way to - you just have to go through it. Which is impossible for WV, I believe. Therefore, many people consider it gamey to use it excessively to shut down vehicle access.
08-09-2007, 07:30 AM,
You cant get rid of it. You can go through it with tracked vehicles and infantry (which are very vulnerable while within it). It is a bit overmodelled......I've only used it extensively once, against RD, and it was clear that it made things very difficult for him.
10-14-2007, 09:30 AM,
Aloha...
Just wondering?
I thought i saw a post somewhere of using Demo Charges,
To clear Wire,
Was i just Drunk,or Dreaming...lol
I'm Playtesting a Battle with lot's of Wire,
Would love to know if that's True?
GoM
10-14-2007, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2008, 10:37 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
[Image: wireA.png]

Wire in CM can't be got rid of in any way by either side, once placed it stays put for the whole game..
Wire is excellent for taking the wind out of an attacking forces sails, it's impassable to trucks, halftracks and armoured cars, and slows tanks to a crawl, so QB players should agree purchase limits because of its power.

Wiire can't be placed ON a bridge, but a single wire on the bank at the end of a bridge can cause a tank column to concertina and jam up as the lead tanks encounter it and begin slowly scrunching their way over it, and if infantry are aboard and the column comes under fire, they'll hop off and probably get caught in the wire like flies in a web, ha-ha..

Wires slowing effect is most noticeable on roads, a number of wires place in ladder or zigzag pattern down a section of road or open ground will make enemy tanks waste a lot of time crawling through it, think "molasses"..
Incidentally, piling more than one wire in a stack on top of each other has no extra slowing effect on tanks, one is enough.

PS -In all my tests,wire never bogged a single tank, so the risk is almost non-existent in dry weather at least.
10-16-2007, 04:52 PM,
Thanks POS...
Now i know,
And by the way,
I tried to follow your AFV Fist mode,
of Movement and Fire,
In second "To the Volga" Op.
It's working very well for me...
Thanks for the tip...

GoM
10-18-2007, 08:07 AM,
[Image: wire2.jpg]
10-19-2007, 03:34 AM,
one more thing: in a recent tournament game my rocket strike made a nice big crater in the middle of a wire section. It seems to me the troops can pass more easily on that location. The wire is not entirely ineffective, but it seems to work only in half of the way.

I also suspect the joints between the wire sections to be more passable. It all boils down how CM stores the terrain tiles internally.
10-19-2007, 04:08 AM,
kineas Wrote:one more thing: in a recent tournament game my rocket strike made a nice big crater in the middle of a wire section. It seems to me the troops can pass more easily on that location. The wire is not entirely ineffective, but it seems to work only in half of the way.

I also suspect the joints between the wire sections to be more passable. It all boils down how CM stores the terrain tiles internally.

The only benefits I can see is that there is now cover from which you can move across the wire... albeit still slowed down by the wire.

Cheers!

Leto