• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Long Time player makes comments on PZC
08-01-2007, 12:15 AM,
Long Time player makes comments on PZC
I would like to say this is the best system around I have all the games . Recently there have been some new rules all welcome esp the new engineer rules and the Morale modifiyer on taking damage - great BUT there are some issues that still defy realism I think

My commenst are not to reduce the value of the system BUT I have been playing if for a long time and the game designers I feel may not have played so much as after all they are developing new games ??

1. The game in general favours the attacker - far too much control and flexibility

HERE ARE SOME ISSUES THAT WE SCN DESIGNERS CANNOT CHANGE

Mainly these issues concern the defence .

1,. Targeting that 1 pz1v amoungst 40 Panthers !
Armour units at a tactical level are engaginging units that they see and are fired at by - you cannot select like this .
Units that fire hard value should have the target picked by the computer for each fire
2. Tenches are not good enough !
A defender should receive a fire bounus when firing from them . IP should be easier to make say double the entrenching chance
3. Defensive return fire should be unlimited ( the current system is quite frankly wrong ) It leads to the most gamey issues I see .
4. Night - Fire at night should be reduced units that move at night outside HQ range should have a chance to be disrupted just for moving
5. Isolated units that are relived should be un isolated at the start of the next turn - not the end . Its a killer . 2 hours of being isolated is not a problem to most units
3. All flak guns , art and trrop sized units should have no ZOC , all co sized units in T mode should have no ZOC . True some of these units could fire into an oposit hex but they do not occupy it and should not fully isolate units like this .
4.Assaulting with mixed HQ units should be penalised more
5. Elimination of HQ should cause a disruption test for all its units under its command
6. AT guns should have a unspotted fire bonus so when the fire its doubled or somthing if they fire while unspotted again Trenches and IP should add some value to the fire
7. units at high fatigue and outside HQ control shoukld reveal less on their status to thats sides player ( WAW had this - wonderful ) . We all see far too much .

New rules unbalance the SCN its true but the scn need updating as much as the game system . Look there are a 1000 great scn out there and 1000s of hours playtesting for free on the ladder - thats enough for HPS to go over the scn and re issue official scn patches.

BUT keep the new games coming

regards
Michael

Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2007, 12:28 AM,
RE: Long Time player makes comments on PZC
Ooo unlimited defensive fire, i like. No Zocs for artillery and such, i like. In MC games a HELO unit in travel mode shouldnt prevent a unit from retreating or make him isolated.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
08-01-2007, 09:48 AM,
RE: Long Time player makes comments on PZC��
I would be happy if every unit that could fire in defensive fire actually used all their shots before the turn ended. I like the removal of zoc's from from smaller units too. Still its a great game, but there is room for improvement. cheers
08-01-2007, 10:11 AM,
I've played a lot of games, all had lots of room for improvement. None of them ever seem to have made it, people moved on to work on other things. Projects with room for improvement, like as not.

08-01-2007, 10:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2007, 10:40 AM by Al.)
08-01-2007, 12:35 PM,
"4. Night - Fire at night should be reduced units that move at night outside HQ range should have a chance to be disrupted just for moving."

By 1944 german units on the western front were adept at night movement to avoid allied air. But yes, I've played so many games where units seemed to freely move at night without any penalty except morale loss, and then sometimes only a few points per unit. In fact, units might freely move the first(few) night turn(s), and then rest the last few, to regain the fatigue. I don't know what the answer is, nor do I know what's right. von ege :cool2:
08-01-2007, 01:29 PM,
RE:��Long Time player makes comments on PZC��
Send this user an email
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2007, 12:06 AM by Aaron.)
But couldnt u look at history and say less happens at night anyways, so its more realistic, it pushes u towards letting your troops rest at night. Ive never sat down and looked at it but what % of all major battles in history were at night? I dont know the answer but i dont think its very high.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
08-02-2007, 01:03 AM,
RE:��Long Time player makes comments on PZC��
tazaaron Wrote:But couldnt ....

Sure we could - but we or THEY rather "didn't"! I say THEY because it was John Tiller and Sturm Smith when they designed the game concept "didn't". They had to decide and that wasn't deemed to be something that required flexibity like say supply where there are three different models.

Glenn
Send this user an email
08-02-2007, 03:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2007, 03:56 AM by Mike Abberton.)