• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So just how good is that AA gun, anyway?
07-30-2007, 02:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2007, 05:34 AM by The Coil.)
So just how good is that AA gun, anyway?
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2007, 03:06 AM,
RE: So just how good is that AA gun, anyway?
Seems like AAA fire is pretty much hit or miss (pun intended) in CM. If you create an effective AAA umbrella you wouldn't have any points left for anything else. I think your tactic of having a few around is sound as it does apparently throw off aim.
During one glorious tournament bout I had a truck-mounted 37mm AAA take out ten vehicles... so AAA has it's uses. Thing to do is have them fire from key hole position or into flanks from hide.
09-16-2007, 03:27 AM,
RE: So just how good is that AA gun, anyway?
I think the test instead shows that 20mm AA singles suck.

My experience is that a single 37mm, western Allied 40mm, or German 20mm Quad AA, is quite sufficient to deter most follow on strafing attacks. It easily cuts the effectiveness of enemy air in half, sometimes more. These types also have very high firepower against enemy infantry and guns, from 16 or so blast, high ROF, and very high accuracy. All but the 20mm Quad also have decent AP performance, enough to get damage results against full AFVs even if they can't penetrate, and to trash all lighter armor effortlessly.

The German 20mm Quad has the benefit that it is quite stealthy, compared to the larger calibers. It is also very cheap for the power at 32 points regular. The bigger types are better at damaging enemy armor, however.

Compared to these serious AA guns, I find the 20mm singles and the Russian 25mm singles, to be ineffective pop guns. Both for AA and for ground fire. They can suppress a single infantry target in the open and remain sound, but rarely hit more than 1-2 men even when they do that successfully, and their fire effect dissipates in a few minutes. Against men in cover the most you get is a pin. The serious guns will instead break whatever they hit and hit whatever they see.