• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

80 Abrams clobbered
06-25-2007, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
80 Abrams clobbered
[Image: brewed.jpg]

MORE WRECKED ABRAMS - http://news.webshots.com/album/111681583Mvsdlz?start=0

Tanks take a beating in Iraq By Steven Komarow,
USA TODAY
"The U.S. military's Abrams tank, designed during the Cold War to withstand the fiercest blows from the best Soviet tanks, is getting knocked out at surprising rates by the low-tech bombs and rocket-propelled grenades of Iraqi insurgents.
In the all-out battles of the 1991 Gulf War, only 18 Abrams tanks were lost and no soldiers in them killed. But since the March 2003 invasion of Iraq, with tanks in daily combat against the unexpectedly fierce insurgency, the Army says 80 of the 69-ton behemoths have been damaged so badly they had to be shipped back to the United States"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/...nk-a_x.htm
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM by McIvan.)
RE: 80 Abrams clobbered
06-25-2007, 05:02 PM,
the finer details of the article are the more important in my (America Rules) point of view...
"At least five soldiers have been killed inside the tanks when they hit roadside bombs," one marine tank fell off a bridge into the Euphrates in the early days of the war. I believe all members drowned...
"At least 10 more have died while riding partially exposed from open hatches." a dangerous spot any day of the week...
"The casualties are the lowest in any Army vehicles, despite how often the Abrams is targeted "
"about 70% of the more than 1,100 tanks used in Iraq have been struck by enemy fire, mostly with minor damage."
"A favorite tactic: detonating a roadside bomb in hopes of blowing the tread off the tank. The insurgents follow with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and gunfire aimed at the less-armored areas, especially the vulnerable rear engine compartment." or more often the support teams coming to the rescue...
Overall I would bet it fairs only a little better that a King Tiger... but still given the choice I'd take the King Tiger over any other period tank...
I think of all the modern tanks the M1 is on par with all. Although I have heard good things about the Challenger, as long as it isn't in sand... but its armor is supposed to better. Does anyone know if the Brits deployed them to Iraq? and if so, how have they faired?

Yes, yes I'm gratutiously pro yankee...

06-25-2007, 09:31 PM,
It is good to see the Aussie Abrams are a good buy! We buy these giants and the only place we would use them is in Iraq!
06-26-2007, 03:27 AM,
Would point out that the picture you portray I believe is of the one tank that US forces destroyed themselves on the thunder run into Baghdad after it caught fire and they could not extinquish it or leave the tank... I thought at the time that they should have used dirt and sand to put out the flames, i.e. empty a bunch of sand bags into the engine compartment and that probably would have worked but the newsreel revealed soldiers trying to put the fire out with water bottles.
06-26-2007, 09:00 AM,
CHALLENGER TANK
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."
Send this user an email
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM,
RE: CHALLENGER TANK
Vulture (FGM) Wrote:In one encounter a Challenger 2 was hit directly by eight rocket propelled grenades from close range and a MILAN anti-tank missile, and was under heavy small arms fire for hours. The crew survived and the tank was able to withdraw for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hours later after the repairs. One Challenger 2 operating near Basra survived being hit by 70 RPGs in another incident."
Now, that's one tough tank.

What about the Merkava? Doesn't it rate up there, too?
06-27-2007, 08:24 AM,
I hate seeing them like that. I served on M1s way back when, never saw combat though(NG). Still love those tanks to this day.[attachment=1180]
06-27-2007, 07:14 PM,
RE:��80 Abrams clobbered
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."
Send this user an email
06-28-2007, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2007, 08:47 AM by 107thCav.)
I was in the Army National Guard from 87-96, M Company 107th ACR.
When I first joined we were riding M-48s at our local training ground and doing live fire training on M-60s. We transitioned to the M-1 in 1990, it was an awsome experience. My buddy who is Monster Co. on the Blitz served on the same tank crew with me. Our unit did not get deployed during Desert Storm.
There is nothing like being inside one of these vehicles when that main gun goes off. I'll try to think of some good stories to pass along If I can. I have alot of pictures from back then but they are all hard copies, need to get off my ass and scan them into the computer one of these days.