• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Suggestions?
06-18-2007, 12:32 PM,
Campaign Suggestions?
Does anyone have any insight as to how they tackled their first HUGE campaign? I just got F40', it is the second PzC game that I've bought. Up until now, I've steered clear of the campaigns, and have worked my way up to larger and longer scenarios. I'm about to start the 140 long turn "The Die is Cast" campaign against the AI. However, I have absolutely no idea about where to start. I'd appreciate any comments about how all of you guys got your feet wet so to say, and any tips you have.
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2007, 08:03 PM,
RE: Campaign Suggestions?
From what I recall years ago when I started I printed the printable maps and sketched out a plan and then just went for it.

Try moving all units in a Div or corps then move to the next. Treat it as bite sized areas tactically and then zoom out for an operational view if need be.

Use the next unit buttons to check you have not missed anyone.

Check reinforcements etc so you know what is due to arrive when (but some times there is just a % chance)

Take it slow and enjoy.

Remember the AI is not going to give you a great game long term because it can not work over a long game period.

Try and find some one who you get on with who plays at a similar pace and style to you and then play a campaign with them. I find that very rewarding.

Mike
06-18-2007, 11:02 PM,
Work with corps sectors to keep your advance organised, IOW break up the campaign as in reality. Maybe taking a glance at period planning map for your chosen side will help conceptualise this strategy, its corp boundaries and phase lines - it won't be cheating!

Then within each corps work with a maneuver and reserve mindset - whilst keeping true to the timetable of blitzkreig. Easy? LOL! I respect you - have fun :-)
06-19-2007, 05:32 AM,
1) Read the campaign description

2) Look at victory conditions and VP locations.

3) Consider your force set-up, who is where. Where are your strengths and weaknesses

4) Look at terrain, best place for defence or most appropriate/acceptable attack routes. You will need to consider ease of supply flow at this stage

5) Reverse the view. What does the enemy need to win. What would you consider likely courses of action for your opponent to achieve these objectives. Then consider what he is likely to do when he sees your plan forming. For example, do you need to guard your flanks, where should you position reserves, what bridges should you blow and what should you keep, etc.

5) Decide on a high level battle plan

6) Based on the battle plan I then assign high level objectives to armies. Then I assign specific objectives to corps and finally individual orders to the divisions with the aim of meeting the corps objectives. (I stop at divisional level as I can conceptualise individual action of units below this level on a turn to turn basis)

7) Commence action. Engage enemy. Throw battle plan out of window and charge. ;).

Well it's not usually that extreme, but don't hold your plan too dear as you will need to react to your opponents actions. If you did your home work then you should have some idea of what he is upto based on his opening moves. Watch out for the feints and always be prepared to be surprised.

And never forget what it is you need to do to win.
06-19-2007, 11:03 AM,
Thanks guys.
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM,
One more thought. Make sure you get authorization from the supreme commander, i.e., your wife (if you have one) .
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM,
I'm only 19. =] It does seem to put me at about half or a third of the average age here, but most people my age have no interest in military history. My girlfriend and my fraternity brothers gave me a hard time when "Das Reich" Volumes I-IV came from amazon. =]
06-20-2007, 12:23 PM,
RE:��Campaign Suggestions?
"My girlfriend and my fraternity brothers gave me a hard time when "Das Reich" Volumes I-IV came from amazon."

????????????? :-)

Marquo cheers
06-20-2007, 03:25 PM,
Mike Bowen Wrote:From what I recall years ago when I started I printed the printable maps and sketched out a plan and then just went for it.

Try moving all units in a Div or corps then move to the next. Treat it as bite sized areas tactically and then zoom out for an operational view if need be.

Use the next unit buttons to check you have not missed anyone.

Check reinforcements etc so you know what is due to arrive when (but some times there is just a % chance)

Take it slow and enjoy.

Remember the AI is not going to give you a great game long term because it can not work over a long game period.

Try and find some one who you get on with who plays at a similar pace and style to you and then play a campaign with them. I find that very rewarding.

Mike
Yes, this is excellent advice. Following these points eased my way into my first campaigns.
Operation Edelweiss begins! Pontoon bridges across the Don at Rostov.
06-23-2007, 03:01 PM,
Enough.

This dicussion belongs elsewhere. Use the History discussion board if you wish to continue.

Dog Soldier
HPS OPS Moderator
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp