• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SAW: Mountain fighting
06-10-2007, 10:49 AM,
SAW: Mountain fighting

I would like to know the best approach on taking out units situated on hills or mountains. of couse they would have the advantage of higher ground.

my problem is do I try to flank or bomb the hell out of the side of the moutain. then move infantry slowly up the mountain?
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2007, 08:51 PM,
RE: SAW: Mountain fighting
Is it an air assault operation?
06-11-2007, 03:42 AM,

no, infantry with some air.
06-11-2007, 07:53 AM,
Concentration of firepower is important. Use your long range firepower to suppress critical enemy positions like mortar pits or heavy machine gun positions. Attacking upwards against an unsupressed enemy is suicide.

Use smoke to conceal your movement. Try to use the the shape of land to minimize exposure to enemy defensive fire.

Dont disperse your strenght. Find possible weak sectors of the enemy and try to overwhelm them before he finds time to react.

Those are general principles I follow. You have to improvise them for actual combat situations since all of them are unique.
06-11-2007, 08:25 AM,
RE:��SAW: Mountain fighting
Ozgur Budak Wrote:Concentration of firepower is important. Use your long range firepower to suppress critical enemy positions like mortar pits or heavy machine gun positions. Attacking upwards against an unsupressed enemy is suicide.

Use smoke to conceal your movement. Try to use the the shape of land to minimize exposure to enemy defensive fire.

Dont disperse your strenght. Find possible weak sectors of the enemy and try to overwhelm them before he finds time to react.

Those are general principles I follow. You have to improvise them for actual combat situations since all of them are unique.

Excellent advice for this, and all SB games.

For all of us who have lost to Oz, we can attest that he's very good at enacting the advice he just offered...

;)
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-11-2007, 12:26 PM,
Thanks Oz,

I will use your advice to take out the muj. in saw.

What i truely wish for is one day some developer will bring together close combat + squad assault + Combat Mission + Squad battles = the best game ever made.

what do you guys think.
06-11-2007, 12:44 PM,
"The best game ever made" will probably never exist, because everyone has their own idea of what that might be. For example, I only play turn based games, and then pretty much only by e-mail. So for me a real time game would never fit the bill. :cool:

We're continuing to improve the Squad Battles series though, so if you like it now, it will only get better.
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM,
RE:��SAW: Mountain fighting
rahamy Wrote:"The best game ever made" will probably never exist, because everyone has their own idea of what that might be. For example, I only play turn based games, and then pretty much only by e-mail. So for me a real time game would never fit the bill. :cool:

We're continuing to improve the Squad Battles series though, so if you like it now, it will only get better.

I'm with Rich on this one. I don't think you will ever get a perfect game due to differeing tastes. Perhaps perfect for that taste, but not one that all will agree is perfect.

I enjoy CM but my taste is a definite turn based preference...very much dislike true real time...and I'm only reasonbly interested in WeGo (i.e Combat Mission and laterly Punic Wars).
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM,
Yup, I am a turn based guy too. I never got accustomed to real time or WeGo type games.
06-12-2007, 02:52 PM,
I still like HTTR (Highway To The Reich: pausable continuous time) & I also enjoy Defending The Reich (sort of real time). I got frustrated with real time games like Close Combat because they seem to be all about how fast you can click your mouse buttons. I like being able to take my time & consider my moves carefully so turn based games have more appeal to me; plus the fact that I grew up with the old Avalon Hill bookcase games (guess that it's an old prejudice). I still have some of them to this day.
Hopefully SAW shows up in my mailbox today. Getting kind of jealous of everyone who has their copy already.:hissy:;)
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe