• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sharpshooter movement test
06-08-2007, 07:03 AM,
Sharpshooter movement test
So I decided to do my own test of sharpshooter movement.

Here is how the test is setup:
Lanes of open ground 665m long split by tall pines. US platoon leaders all with +2 stealth ratings siting at one end on the lane; at the other end a sharpshooter and a tank hunter squad. 16 different groups - 4 each of elite/crack/vet/reg TH and sharpshooters. The platoon leaders are half reg half elite (although I later remembered that tests showed that unit quality doesn affect how well a unit spots).

Simple test. Gave a move order to all the german units to walk through open ground towards the US platoon leader to see at what distance the units were spotted.

Results:
Tank Hunters - All 16 tank hunters were spotted as soon as they got into the open gound - 665m

Reg Sharpies - 320/320/320/270
Vet Sharpies - 285/267/265/265
Crack sharpies - 210/210/195/190
Elite Sharpies - 175/170/155/125

So how am I going to use this data?

If I have a vet sharpshooter in a battle, and I want to get the unit into cover without being seen, I know I need to be about 325m away for reg, 300m away for vet, 225m away for crack and 200m away for elite. That is if I am crossing open ground.

Of course sharpshooters cannot hold ground. But having eyes across the entire battlefield is one of the most important things a player should do - at least for the first 10 turns of a battle.

I might do some more tests with brush/rocky ground/rough terrain & fast movement.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM,
RE: Sharpshooter movement test
Thanks CT.... pity the Coil couldnt get his act together and do this... :)
06-08-2007, 07:21 AM,
Did another test. Same thing except the lanes are 80m of open ground in front of the US platoon leaders and then all brush. All 16 snipers walked unnoticed through the brush but then were spotted as soon as they got into the open ground.
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM,
RE:��Sharpshooter movement test
Bootie Wrote:Thanks CT.... pity the Coil couldnt get his act together and do this... :)

I know it. What is wrong with that guy! :smg:

06-08-2007, 07:42 AM,
One more test.

This time I did a fast move over brush and rocky terrain towards the US platoon leaders. the last 80m was open ground. All 16 sharpies made it to the open ground before being spotted - and were quickly eliminated.

Pretty surprised that all the sharpshooters stayed hidden moving fast in brush and rocky terrain.

I was also very surprised to see that movement through the brush was much slower than through the rocky terrain - rough estimate would be that brush terrain is 50% slower. Combine that with the fact that you have slightly better cover in rocky than brush - I will always be looking to move through rocky as opposed to brush.
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM,
Thanks Col T! Were there any tank hunters in the latter two tests for comparison?

I suspect The Coil has developed a case of clicky allergy. It has been known to happen. It is generally cured by giving them lots and lots of red clickies, which seems to have a soothing effect on their temperament.
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM,
06-08-2007, 03:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2007, 03:28 PM by Colonel Talvela.)
06-09-2007, 01:38 AM,
RE: ��Sharpshooter movement test
The Coil Wrote:And CT, it's nice to see you do some of the legwork for once...here's a (meaningless until they implement the 'clickies for prizes' system we're all looking forward too...ask Red Devil about it, he seems really excited to see it up and working) clicky for your work...

Thanks. They are strangely reaffirming. cheers

And since you did try to do the test for me, and since I promised two clickies, and since they are meaningless anyway - here are two clickies for you. enjoy :whis:
06-09-2007, 01:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2007, 01:58 PM by The Coil.)
RE:����Sharpshooter movement test