• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opponents of Ratzki
06-03-2007, 01:43 AM,
Opponents of Ratzki
Sorry about the turn rate, but life has been very busy and now it looks like we may get rather wet. My house along with the rest if Chilliwack sits at about 9m above sea level, the Fraser river runs in freshet at this time of year. Now normally not a problem, we have dykes to take an additional 7.4m of water over low water levels. That is good because at the moment, the water where the level is measured is up to above 4m at the moment, I believe. Somewhere around June 8th is the high water mark which this year is expected to be 7.1m approximately. This will equal the flood of 1894(?)-96(?) I can't remember what year. If all goes well, I may get my feet wet from water that seeps through the dykes, but we have not had this much water in the river since 1894 and a little less in 1948. The concern is a dyke failure due to prolonged pressure by the elevated water levels. That will put my house about 3.5m-4m (12 feet) under water. This will affect my turn rate as the computer does not opperate well when submerged. Added to this is at the moment is the prep. work, that we are all putting in and have been for the last several weeks has been rather time consuming. The sandbag fill station is a km down the road from my house and lots of people have been volunteering filling sand bags for those who are in need. As well, this week we will be moving our whole house contents to the second floor of our house and transfering the suff to waterproof containers, not something I look forward to. I have been trying to convince the wife to just leave the stuff but she seems to see value in old pictures, baby clothes and all the little things that I moan at everytime we have had to move and I pack the same boxes around from house to house. Why can't women be more like us men, all I value to save is 2 pairs of socks and underwear, pants a shirt, a warm coat, dry shoes and a few bottles of beer. And just to make things interesting, I work as a fireman so am expecting to not be home for several days, as we will be stretched to the maximum with all the things that will take place if the worst case scenario takes place. So the turns will keep comming, albeit slowly, and if i disappear, without warning for an extended period of time, you all know the reason, and once the tanks and mortar teams dry out, I will be right back at it.
Quote this message in a reply