• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The value of PC gaming - El Alamein 42
05-31-2007, 03:33 PM,
The value of PC gaming - El Alamein 42
Thought people would find this interesting.

Those of us who love this hobby will at one time, add a paper and cardboard boardgame or two to their collections. Those who started their hobby in the 60's to 80's will have quite a collection of them.

But every now and then, it becomes apparent just how valuable a stable, playable PC wargame system like Panzer Campaigns can be.

Case in point:

1. HPS PzC "El Alamein 42" - current rrp $49.95.
Comprising 34 scenarios, scale 1km per hex, 780x220km of map, btn level, 3200 units.

2. Avalanche Press "Alamein" - launch rrp $199.99.
One of Avalanche's biggest games to date, comprising 6 scenarios, scale 2km per hex, 4 maps 38x26 inches, btn level, 1960 units including info markers.

This new Avalanche Press game does look beautiful but 1) there's just no way I can find the space to set it up, 2) PzC E42 does it bigger and better and 3) $200 USD is a hell of a lot of money!

Anyway, it's great to always see the hobby expand. And it's great to see the monster wargamer satisfied. But it's equally comforting to know, that if we want to play this campaign, at this scale, it's just a disc insert away.

Happy gaming,
Adam.
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2007, 03:49 PM,
RE: The value of PC gaming - El Alamein 42
I agree. As much as I would like to set up my Jack Radey monster games, or the Operation Crusader simultaneous movement game, the real estate necessary to have them set up is just too much. (Cat's, dust, the wife's complaints...) Also, the FOW is just something that really can not be done with cardboard, although Crusader gave it a valiant try.

One thing about the Pzc series that I will always value is the high quality historical research. Even if I do not play the game, it is still as useful as a book on the history of the battle. I just hope 20 years from now there will be a computer platform that will run these games.
06-01-2007, 05:45 AM,
HMCS Rosthern Wrote:I agree. As much as I would like to set up my Jack Radey monster games, or the Operation Crusader simultaneous movement game, the real estate necessary to have them set up is just too much. (Cat's, dust, the wife's complaints...)

This of course is the real problem. When we were teenagers we could set up games which took over our bedrooms and our mates would come round and sat "Excellent" and think how cool it was. Now if we try it; you get half way through set up and your wives comes in and says "That's not staying there." She then phones up her friends/familly to tell them how sad you are. ;)

If you want to see huge take look at this

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/war_in...cific.html

7 x 2 ft by 3ft maps with 9000 counters

06-01-2007, 06:01 AM,
I used to setup 20 map boards of Squad Leader on a pingpong table in the basement :) But the wife decided we didn't need the pingpong table any more and gave it away Eek Those where truly happy times cheers
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
06-01-2007, 07:37 AM,
Hi guys,

do you know the VASSAL engine?
http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

You can play your old wargames while your PC does the housekeeping.