• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

off topic: divisional level games
05-18-2007, 08:00 AM,
off topic: divisional level games
Though I really enjoy the battalion level of play of the PzC series, I wouldn't mind playing a PBEM of good old (boardgame) style divisional level play.

Of course I know about "the first blitzkrieg" and I am also considering ordering Russo-German War 41-44. But maybe some of you guys know about other good divisional level games that are played online? Of course I can find them myself, but I am curious about the opinion on the above mentioned games and other games that members of the PzC community have.
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM,
RE: off topic: divisional level games
I found RGW 41-44 interesting but buggy and the UI was difficult to get the hang of. I never played it against a human opponent and very quickly tired of the AI . If you do decide to get it, I would be willing to try out the PBEM for it .

Scott
05-18-2007, 02:27 PM,
Aditia Wrote:I wouldn't mind playing a PBEM of good old (boardgame) style divisional level play.

Couldn't agree with you more. I can't understand why developers haven't focused at that level. Russian Campaign, Fortress Europa, African Campaign - even the AH Smithsonian releases would all make wonderful PC games.

The best suggestion I have is the SSG regimental level Decisive Battles series (closest to the Div spirit I've seen).

RGW just doesn't make sense to me UI-wise. Frank Hunter is soon to release his WW1 Guns of August title via Matrix. I've been disappointed with their last couple of releases so won't be jumping onto that band wagon until I've seen the press.

For something different, have you looked at HPS's Defending the Reich. An air game but very much in the spirit of what you're after.

Adam.
05-18-2007, 09:31 PM,
RE:��off topic: divisional level games
05-19-2007, 02:55 AM,
I just looked at it again and I have the 1.7 version. Sooo Much potential with that game, but the UI... HORRIBLE. For me the most important part of any software is how hard is it going to make me work to get done on the screen what I need to do. That said there are a lot of cool goodies .. I particularly like the option to have your on screen counters appear on the map with their corners neatly clipped.
05-19-2007, 03:27 AM,
Is the game a one guy development operation? That would explain the issues with the interface and other things. When I first read about this game I thought "wow, this could be great, if only some professional game developers joined the team...."
05-19-2007, 12:59 PM,
About the best out there for divisional level games is Koger's The Operational Art of War, if the scenario at that level is well done. I echo the other UI complaints about RGW; they make the game unplayable.
05-25-2007, 09:05 AM,
It is quite possible to play the old boardgames by pbem using Cyberboard (free) or ADC2 (HPS product).

Marquo
05-25-2007, 07:01 PM,
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but isn't TOAW at divisional level ?
05-25-2007, 10:51 PM,
Did you tried the Jet PBEM aide for Europa series [Game Designer Workshop]?
You can download it [2Mb rar file] at http://www.grognard.com/pbem.html

Panagiotis